Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Why Invest??
2. Increases Wealth
Accumulate wealth faster than if you simply saved/Out pace inflation
How does this work?
" The Cycle"
- You buy stocks and bonds - companies use money to invest in business- create new and better products or pay off debt - you get dividends and interest in return.
Assignment - write down an example of the Cycle ( edmodo ws )
Risk and Return
- the chance that an investment's value will decrease
All investing involves some type of risk
Greater the risk- Greater the return
- afraid to take a risk
Best practice is to plan in between and do what feels comfortable according to your personal financial situation.
- Minimize risk by spreading the risk among many types of investments or
. ( stocks, bonds, real estate)
Instead of investing in one
( all of your eggs in one basket) you should invest in multiple
Diversify in the types of stocks as well - low and high risk stocks./ tech and retail
Criteria for Choosing an Investment
1. Degree of safety
2. Degree of liquidity
3. Expected dividends
4. Expected growth in value, preferably exceeding the inflation rate
5. Reasonable purchase price
With a partner
- Choose 3 companies from the list
-Tell me why it might be a good idea to invest in them (research company)
- Tell me why it might be a bad idea to invest in them ( research company/competition)
-Tell me why you should not ONLY invest in them
The rule of 72
-Finding the number of years it will take to double your money
Rate of Return
( ex. 5%) =
to double investment
( 20 -Anticipated ) =
rate you will need
to double your investment
1. Beating Inflation
- is a rise in the general prices of goods. This reduces purchasing power over time
Seek investments that out pace inflation
ex. 2015-16 the inflation rate was about 1.1% so you would likely to find an investment or portfolio that will yield more that 1.5% over time.
4. Wal-Mart Stores
6. General motors
10.Bank of America
Types of Risk
Interest Rate Risk
- The risk your return on investment (ROI) wont out pace the inflation rate - Fixed interest rates
- government regulation over bearing a company
Company or industry risk
- affects only one company or one industry
(Apple vs Black Berry )
of investments at once.
Non market risks
- unrelated to market trends ( terrorism/natural disaster)
1. Explain the types of risk
2. Give an example of how this type of risk would have an effect on a publicly traded companies stock price for each.
3. Your examples should stem from current markets as well as examples of current publicly traded companies.
Today's to do List
1. Finish the "5 stages of investing"
As soon as you sit down!!!
2. QOTD - good companies to invest in
3. Chapter 11
-Why Invest (Prezi)
4. Risk Worksheet
9/21 - QOTD
1. What is the rule of 72?
2. Please explain the
provide an example
3. Where is the best place to put your money if you would like it to increase in value ( Safe/Bank/Invest)
9/21 Today's To Do list
2. Notes on Risk
3. Risk Worksheet
Finish Risk WS
QOTD - Using the links
1. What is a "Bond"
2. What is a "Mutual Fund"
3. Please answer this on your TEENVESTER worksheet.
What are some advantages of a "mutual fund"
2/16 Exit Slip
Explain what diversity is
What would be the problem with investing in only ...Kohls Target and JCpenny
Things to finish today!
(we will review them tomorrow)
1. Company Research
2. Teenvester WS
3. Stages of investing
4. Risk Worksheet