Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Ethical Egoism
Chong Xiong, Michelle Arenz Problems with
Ethical Egoism Questions? Sometimes goes
against moral intuition Publicity Argument Paradox of Egoism Self-contradictory Does not
solve conflict You do not always know what is in your best interest It is a moral theory that claims people should pursue
their own self-interests
(in the long run). Egoism vs Altruism Psychological vs Ethical
Egoism What is Ethical Egoism? Psychological Egoism:
- by NATURE people are self-interested
- people OUGHT TO be self-interested Altruism:
- interested in others (and only others)
- interested in self (and only self) Example:
Car seat on the side of the road Whose best interest wins?
Welfare A good moral theory should solve conflict.
Congress VS White House Deep friendships are required for a fulfilling life
- To have deep friendships, you need to be
altruistic sometimes Example:
Caring for people with disabilities Promoting ethical egoism is not in your self-interest
- You would be better off if everyone was an altruist
- Example: game in class on Tuesday Ethical Egoism Pirates of the Caribbean