Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Untitled Prezi
'Emancipate yourself from mental slavery'
'None but ourselves can free our minds' - Marcus Garvy, 1937
'Won't you help me sing these songs of freedom'
song title: Redemption Song, 1980
GENDER IDENTITY AND SEXUALITY
Song title: BORN THIS WAY
India - "Prostitutes of God"
GROUP 3 - MUSIC PERFORMANCE IN CONTEXT
THEME: Music performance and its external factors
PERSONAL - BAND @ SUPERCRAWL
Band name: Passion Pit
Music is a form of cultural representation
- Performances are contextual
ideologies tied in relation to
Challenges religion as a means of
Music performance as a tool for revoking emoti
and bringing about change.
His views on religion and politics...
- Cultural history of Devadasi
Religion used as a gratification for sex trade.
- Dance representing hidden messages of gender inequality
Passion Pit For Bi-Polar Disorder-
* The lead singer of Passion Pit, Michael Angelakos, has been diagnosed with this mental and has since been involved in ongoing treatment for Bi-Polar disorder.
* Though faced with such a hardship, Angelakos uses his disorder as a tool to create genre-defining music for his fans.
* In doing this, he has broken the performance convention of being binded by mental illness and has shown with sheer force just how courageous it is to face your demons.
American indie pop band, formed in 2007
Widely praised EP “Chunk of Change”
Brilliant mash-up of electro-pop songs
Gained following in music scene
High-profile gigs – First official gig in Allston, Mass at Great Scott
Passion Pit at Supercrawl 2013
Are certain factors influencing music performance more prominent within certain cultures? Give an example.
What do you think the relationship is between music performance and today's youth culture?
"No matter gay, straight, or bi,
Lesbian, transgendered life,
I'm on the right track baby,
I was born to survive."- Lady Gaga
* Lady Gaga, known for her outlandish outfits, lyrics and heavy pop beats is not a stranger to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender or LGBT rights
* Hit “Born this way” looks at themes of gender equality which “bears no prejudice, no judgment”
* Through her outfits, music videos and interviews she fights for LGBT equality. Her outfits are rarely a thing that is “just for show”
* Fun Fact: her meat dress she wore at the 2010 MTV Video Music Awards was a stand against the military’s “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy
* If a soldier revealed that he/she was gay, they would not be able to continue their services in the military. The law was later overturned.
* “if we don’t stand up for what we believe in, if we don’t fight for our rights, pretty soon we’re going to have as much rights as the meat on our bones”
* Earlier this year, Gaga belted the American National anthem at an NYC Pride rally changing the lyrics from “Oh say does that star-spangled banner yet wave” to “Oh say does that star spangled flag of pride yet wave…”
Music and the audience:
. The music experience: a body and mind reaction
. Shape the process of self-making, personal identity and individualism
. Music is a way for us to appropriate time and space
"Cyrus has received an estimated $79 million in free TV exposure"- Marco della Cava and Patrick Ryan