Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
moral social environmental
Transcript of moral social environmental
Its common to see products with Braille labels. Appliances are increasingly using cartoon strip type images to describe how to maintain or assemble products so language and literacy don't hinder the user. Amenities usually have facilities for disabled access or baby. More often than not production is a compromise between cost effectiveness and attempts to be eco friendly and socially responsible .
Here's an example:
1) We can make the product from sustainable resources, locally sourced and or using fair trade materials at extra cost.
2) We use unsustainable resources; imported materials and or cheap foreign labour have items shipped to this country ready for sale and make a significant saving.
3) We don’t go into production at all. Moral decisions also come into play in making decisions on the the quality of products we design.
to avoid health at risks
Avoid the possibility that a product we have designed might cause injury.
this is particularly important in this project as we will be designing for children this is why we test our products rigorously. Moral social and environmental
issues Merry Christmas! Morality is distinguishing between what is right and what is wrong; good or bad. When you are asked to make a judgement on morality in your folder you are being given quite a broad and difficult topic. It does not follow that good design means morally good ie. there are some fantastically intricate and intelligently designed weapons yet the whole purpose of these is to destroy lives. You could argue that everyone involved in the design process of that weapon is by association morally questionable? What about if it’s used to protect families from an act of terror? The environment is every natural thing which surrounds us from plants, trees and animals to the hills and countryside weather systems and even the towns and cities and villages we have built to live in.
Each animal and plant we can see today is the result of a selection process which has taken millions of years. In each generation tiny genetic changes that have modified each species behavior, shape, or intelligence, and allowed them to become the flora and fauna we are familiar with.
All life on the planet is interdependent. If small changes are made to a particular ecosystem then the impact can be huge and unpredictable.
The selection process can be both natural or influenced by human changes. All life has one overriding purpose to survive and breed in order to pass its genetic code to its offspring but on the entire planet only people have the knowledge and understanding to realize that our actions have far reaching implications. Take this as an example; imagine the smallest most unsophisticated worm species or fungus were to be removed from leaf litter on a forest floor
Leaves might not be broken down which impacts the fertility of the soil.
Poor soils could diminish the growth of certain trees.
The birds and animals living in these trees whose role it has become to distribute the seeds are reduced in numbers surrounding trees and plants thin out.
Predators would initially thrive as prey is easier to find further hitting the numbers of animals capable of propagating plant life.
The loss of root systems can affect stability of the the forest floor allowing rain to wash fertile soil away.
Forests might gradually disappear which in turn contributes to changes in weather systems which affect coastal towns and cities causing flooding and unusual rain or wind patterns.
If forests are removed from the carbon cycle the temperature will increase globally and ice caps melt sea levels raise.
The Gulf Stream is disrupted by increased sea levels It is possible to link almost any creature, including ourselves into chains of events like this and the problem is we don’t know what tiny disruption could start a reaction like the one described.
As designers and makers we need to be responsible by avoiding pollution and reducing carbon emissions. Pollution can occur:
• during mining processes when fossil fuels and minerals are dug out of the ground
• while raw materials are transported to processing plants
• during processing operations and the conversion of materials into products
• during transportation and storage of fuels and products
• during the use of fuels and products
• when obsolete products and waste materials are transported to recycling plants and waste dumps
• during recycling processes
• when dumped waste materials pollute the air, the soil and the water table. In technology we often talk about the three R’s although currently there seems to be an ever expanding number of r’s.
Rethink On your sheet i want you to address the following areas of research specifically for your project i remember i don't need to see random research, if its not relevant to your project don't include it.
1) social or moral issues you want to address
2) Limited resources. - when selecting your materials how will you ensure your product doesn't use up the worlds limited resources.
3) Consumption- how will you minimize the amount of materials you will use making you product and what will happen at the end of it at the end of its usefulness..
4) Ecological foot print- How you intend to make a design which will cause as little damage to the environment as possible.
5) Biodiversity- can you encourage or enhance the range of natural life by design.
6) Sustainability- how you intend to incorporate materials which do not have a finite lifespan