Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The Yugoslavian Genocide: The Bosnian War
Transcript of The Yugoslavian Genocide: The Bosnian War
1.The Ethnic cleansing Campaign
2.The Bosnian War
3. The Srebrenica Massacre Ethnic Cleansing Campaign The Ethnic cleansing campaign came from the Serbs in that Serbia dreamed of a ethnically homogenous civilization by forcing non Serbs out by demonstrative atrocities that would strike fear in the hearts of those with a different ancestry. Bosnian War . The armies of Croatia and Serbian armies moved in on Bosnia who was ultimately unprepared. In an attempt the people lashed out and war broke out which was eventually accompanied by an ethnic cleansing. Srebrenica Massacre The Bosnian genocide was an ethnic cleansing of the Bosnian Muslims totaling in the massacre of over more than 8000 men and boys. Another 25000 – 30000 Bosnian civilians (women) were exiled/transferred from the town of Srebrenica and surrounding areas of Bosnia and Herzegovina. The VRS Army of the Republika Srpska committed this mass cleansing. Srebrenica was considered to be a safe zone protected by the UN and Dutch peace keeping battalion, but was not in these dire events. The men tried to flee srebrenca and surrounding area with their family but were captured. The dutch peacekeepers battalions report states that the massacre was out of anger and surprise attempt at escape and revenge for the vitims of the muslims attacks in previous years Perpetrators of the crime The perpetrators of the crimes were the Serbian and Croatian armies under the control of the their governments Victims of this unjust act The victims of the Bosnian genocide were those of Muslim ancestry who were known as Bosnian Muslims or Bosniaks Serbia's motive's behind the events of the genocide The main reason of the Bosnian genocide was the effects that the division of Yugoslavia proposed. Yugoslavia was divided on the basis that the three distinct cultures could not coexist peacefully, as a result a referendum of independence was put forth. But this division did not leave enough wealth for each country to be prosperous. Serbia and Croatia teamed up together to take back the Bosnian land. The massacre though was a result of anger and revenge. The Bosnian's had caused some trouble in previous years and escaping the encampment angered them for it showed that their plan was not full proof to capture the people of Bosnia. The use of propaganda International Help The war itself lasted three years and nine months and only ended after NATO intervention, first with an air campaign in August and September 1995, and then with the deployment of a peacekeeping force in December of that year, following agreement on a peace plan negotiated in Dayton, Ohio. Lasting Effects Today First and foremost the country of Yugoslavia was abolished when the referendum of independence was passed by the Bosnians’ and Croats. To what extent is ultranationalism responsible for Yugoslavian genocide? Before After Propaganda was used during this conflict however, it wasn't a large part of why the conflict escalated. It of course didn't help but wasn't a primary cause of why it happened This event is an example in ultra nationalism because of various reasons all directly relating to the three key points of ultra nationalism listed in class. First of all Serbia did not seek any thing but domination rather than a win win solution. In this pursuit of domination the Bosniaks opinion and wishes were ignored. As a result of the Bosniaks rioting against the take over, the Serbian armies and croatian took resistance to far and began the massacre of Srebrenica.