Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Wesleyan University Weeding Project - 2011-2013
Transcript of Wesleyan University Weeding Project - 2011-2013
All lists for all rounds open for faculty review
- CTW to share lists of books to be withdrawn
- Rounds 1-3: Only books not marked to retain will be withdrawn
- Round 4 - no re-consideration of 'keep this copy' candidates
- Withdrawn volumes first offered to faculty
published before 1990,
acquired before 2003,
fewer than 2 check-outs since 1996,
held by 30 or more libraries,
held by at least 2 partner libraries in CT
Withdrawal candidate criteria
30,000 becomes ...
... when the decision is made to move the Art Library into Olin.
The CTW Consortium
1986: Major expansion of Olin Library
1989: Art Library reaches capacity
2005-06: Multiple-copies withdrawal project
2007: Withdrawal of some JSTOR bound journals
2007: Installation of compact shelving in SciLi
2008-11: Reduction of Olin Reference by 1/3
2010: Monograph budget cut by 47%
1986 - Olin Library renovation
1989 - Art Library reaches capacity
1990s - 2000s - Annual
transfers from Art Library to Olin
2005-06 - Multiple-copy weeding project
2007 - SciLi compact shelving installed
2007 -- JSTOR journal bound
volume weeding (ongoing)
2008-11 - Olin Reference reduced by 1/3
2010 - Monograph budget reduced by 47%
Status of current weeding project (July 2013):
- Round 3 books being processed for withdrawal
- Round 4 projects underway
- Major shift of library collections
- Preparation for Art Library move
May 31, 2012 deadline: Round 1 (A–G call numbers)
Oct. 31, 2012 deadline: Round 2 (P call numbers)
Mar. 31, 2013 deadline: Round 3 (H-N and Q-Z)
Dec. 31, 2013 deadline: Round 4
As of September 1, 2013
Five College Depository
/ Other storage projects
- journals or books?
- central or distributed?
It Can Be Done!
Charleston Conference, Nov. 2013
... an 8-minute presentation
199,938 volumes not withdrawal candidates;
31,134 volumes are withdrawal candidates
350 faculty members
200 graduate students
Spring 2012 conversations
2/3, 3/8: Library Faculty Advisory Committee
2/7: Faculty lunch presentation
2/9: Wes Student Assn. - Academic Affairs
2/17: Natural Sciences/Mathematics lunch
2/28: Rick Lugg, Andy Breeding presentation
4/10: Faculty meeting presentation
WesWeeding blog; faculty forum listserv
"Why not create
a storage space
"Why not just
"Why only books