Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The General Environment for Community Based Practice
Transcript of The General Environment for Community Based Practice
What is the ACTUAL distribution of wealth in the US by quintile?
The Great Compression...
an ideology that espouses...
that is, how much of the US wealth is held by the top 20% of the population? Next 20%? Middle 20%? next 20% Lowest 20%
think of a pie cut into five pieces...how is it sliced these days?
When Americans were asked what it should be?
it hasn't always been this way
another way to look at it...
why is this important?
inequality is implicated in just about every social concern
inequality is correlated with a social problems index
its what the Occupy movement was/is mostly about
and at the same time, resources for community-based services are dwindling...
there's just so much...
What does all this mean for community-based organizations and social change?
When Americans were asked what they thought it was...
Americans appear to drastically underestimate the current level of wealth inequality, suggesting they may simply be unaware of the gap.
All groups – even the wealthiest respondents – desired a more equal distribution of wealth than what they estimated the current United States level to be. (Norton & Ariely, 2011)
Americans Prefer Sweden!
Turner, M.A. & Kaye, D.R. (2006). How Does Family Well-Being Vary Across Different Types of Neighborhoods? Washington, D.C.: The Urban Institute.
Research has shown that even when family income is held constant, families living in areas of concentrated poverty are more likely to struggle to meet their children’s basic material needs.
They are more likely to face food hardship, have trouble paying their housing costs, and lack health insurance than those living in more affluent areas. Children are also more likely to experience harmful levels of stress and severe behavioral and emotional problems than children overall.
Black and Hispanic children are disproportionately poor.
...children in US live in families with incomes below the federal poverty level, which is $22,050 a year for a family of four. The number of children living in poverty increased by 21 percent between 2000 and 2008. There are 2.5 million more children living in poverty today than in 2000.
Isaacs and Healy (2012) The Urban Institute
More than 16 million children were poor in 2011
U.S. has one of the highest rates of child poverty in the developed world. Of the 35 wealthy countries studied by UNICEF, only Romania has a child poverty rate higher than the 23 percent rate in the U.S.
conditions that are directly related to main operations (funding sources, client base, collaborative partners, sector, etc.)
broader conditions such as the economic, historical, cultural, and political context.
The top 0.1%'s share of the national wealth is almost as large as the bottom 90%.
- a mere 16,070 families or roughly 32,000 people - controls about
of the countries wealth.
Just sit with that figure for a second.!
, 53 of them men, own as much wealth as the poorest half of the entire world population - or 3.6 billion people - according to a report released by anti-poverty charity Oxfam.
And the richest 1 percent own more than the other 99 percent put together.
Harvey, D. (2007). Neoliberalism as Creative Destruction. The ANNALS of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, 610(1), 21–44. http://doi.org/10.1177/0002716206296780
Its moral underpinnings are individual liberty, competition, individual responsibility, and work ethic. Neoliberalism recasts the role of the welfare state by shifting responsibility from state to market and from the collective to the individual. (Taylor-Gooby, 2004)
As early as England's Elizabethan-era Poor Laws, distinctions between the "deserving" poor - respectable, virtuous folk who were believed to be poor through no fault of their own - and the "undeserving" sort - lazy, dishonest, unmotivated - were encoded into public policy.
That ideology persisted, was enforced with particular cruelty during the Victorian period, and came back with a veneance in the 1980's, when poor-bashing and victim-blaming became all the rage. It persists to this day.
(Kathleen Geier, 2013)