Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Spanish Civil War Prezi
Transcript of Spanish Civil War Prezi
24 May 2013
Thesis and Artifacts
Historical Background and Context
Description of Event
The Spanish Civil War was a conflict in Spain between the Nationalist and the Republican forces. The War has been seen as a precursor of WWll and one of the greatest clashes of political ideology of modern times. It lasted from 1936-1939.
Industrialization VS. Agriculture
- Language divided between Catalonia and Basque regions.
- Long History/culture of their own.
- Regions wanted greater self-government.
- Barcelona, Madrid, and Bilbao were centers of industrial development.
- Created a new urban proletariat.
- Faced low wages, long hours, and bad working conditions.
- The rest of the country was dependent on feudalistic agricultural system.
- Peasants worked on private estates of land owners.
- Most peasants lived in poverty.
- Work was seasonal, and landless peasants moved around to get jobs.
- Anti-clericalism: hostility towards a religion.
- Growth of anti-clericalism during 19 th century.
- Catholicism was deeply embedded in Spanish life and history.
- Church held a powerful, and privileged possession
- Huge, expensive colonial army lost colonial assets.
- Assumed the role of maintaining law order and tradition at home.
- Intervened with politics.
- Bad reputation as it was brutal, ineffective, and expensive.
- Landowning aristocracy
- Industrial elite
1921: Spanish Moroccan Defeat
Military, and monarchy revealed to be incompetent.
1923: Pronunciamento of General Primo de Rivera.
Post- 1930 Political instability.
Rise of political faction, militancy
- Battle of Annual in The Rif War
- Spain overthrow the monarchy and created the Spanish II Republic
- Left and Right winged governments
- Republicans on Left, and Nationalist on the right
- Socialists, Catalan and Basque separatists
- Communist Popular army
- Supported by the USSR and Mexico
- Destroyed churches, killed priests, public displays of blasphemy
- Foreign legion and African army
-Supported by Fascist Italy and Nazi Germany
- Mussolini financed and trained nationalists, provided weapons and supplies
- Hitler sent weapons and supplies
- Landowners, junior officers, monarchists, and right-winged groups
- Led by Francisco Largo Caballero, Valentín González, and Juan Negrín
- Led by Francisco Franco, Emilio Mola, and José Sanjurjo
-Acted mostly on defensive
- Acted mostly on offensive
- Munich agreement ended any hope of british or french to aid the republicans
- Republicans couldn't count on Soviet help
- USSR concerned about Japan in the far east, were abandoning collective security
- Germany's aid guaranteed Franco's air superiority
Nearing the End
End of the War
On April 1, 1939, Francisco Franco was declared caudillo, or ruler of all Spain. The nationalists had won the war. Franco remained the dictator of all Spain until his death in 1975. The republicans in Spain faced exile, death, imprisonment, torture, and silent submission.
"There were at least five parties in the Spanish Civil War on the Republic side. I tried to understand and evaluate all five (very difficult) and belonged to none . . . . I had no party but a deep interest in and love for the Republic. . . . In Spain I had, and have, many friends on the other side. I tried to write truly about them, too. Politically, I was always on the side of the Republic from the day it was declared and for a long time before." - Ernest Hemingway
"The Spanish Civil war produced a spate of bad literature. Homage to Catalonia is one of the few exceptions and the reason is simple. Orwell was determined to set down the truth as he saw it" - Raymond Carr
The impact the Spanish civil war is simple. Spain overthrew its republic to create a monarchy under Franco. Spain was a republic and the nationalists won so they changed the republic to a monarchy. This event can be studied for politics because even to this day, Spain is a Constitutional Monarchy.
The Spanish civil war for us is important because it showed how people reacted to the way the government was taking over. People had the will to take over the government and reform it by establishing another type of government in power. We hope that all of you learned something from this Presentation, about how important politics really are. Thank you.
Robles., Gil. "The Causes of the Spanish Civil War." History Learning Site. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 May 2013. http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/causes"Spanish Civil War breaks out — History.com This
Day in History — 7/18/1936." History.com — History Made Every Day
— American & World History. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 May 2013. <http://www.history.com/this-day-
"The Spanish Civil War." Spartacus Educational. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 May 2013.
topic. "Spanish Civil War - Spanish History, Southern European History | Questia, Your Online
Research Library." Questia, Your Online Research Library. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 May