Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Ragtime
And the path to jazz
Ragtime- "ragged time"
March Form: AABBCCDD...
Piano trying to imitate a marching band
Left hand steady two beat rhythm
Right had contrasting rhythms that contradict duple meter
Ragtime originally a translation of improvised piano technique
Composers began writing their own
"Maple Leaf Rag" Royalties
New Generation moving towards jazz
Recordings rather than written notation to represent their music
Originally Ragtime composer
"Down Home Rag"
Recorded 1913 by James Reese Europe's Society Orchestra (as written)
Recorded by Sweatman 1916, hinted at bluesy improv
Sweatman's recording is crucial evidence for the transition between ragtime and jazz
Listen to the two videos of Fats Waller
Which one is ragtime? Which one is transitioning to jazz? What are the big differences? 4-5 Sentences
Group work: What makes these different????