Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Clauses
Main Idea - What is a clause?
A group of words that contains a verb and its subject
Used as a sentence or part of a sentence
Dependent Clause (the needy child)
Does not express a complete thought and therefore cannot stand by itself as a complete sentence
Types of Dependent Clauses
- acts as an adj., modifying a noun or pronoun
- acts as an adverb, modifying a verb, adjective, or an adverb
- acts as a noun and may be used as a subject, an object of a preposition, or a complement (predicate nominative, direct object, indirect object)
Amy was born in March
, but Amaya, her sister, was born in April.
Because the students studied
, they all did well on the quiz.
Bears hibernate during the winter
Since the first class was cancelled
, the other classes played games.
5. ______ No one knows who stole the stapler
although we think it was Ben
6. ______ When a student is late,
the teacher marks him/her tardy
7. ______ Jonathan stole my lunch, so
I had to eat a cheese sandwich today
Independent Clause (the grown up)
Expresses a complete thought and can stand by itself as a complete sentence
1. School began an hour late.
2. I have Language Arts, Math, Social Studies, and Science classes today.
because the icy weather caused a delay
After I eat lunch
1. we memorized the lyrics
2. as they sat on the back porch
3. if no one is coming
4. my sister was born on Valentine's Day
5. since we talked to Caitlin
Directions: Identify each clause as independent or dependent. Underline the subject and circle the verb.
Booth killed Lincoln,
who was the 16th U.S. President
that he used
was a Deringer pistol.
The Lincolns were looking forward to happier times
when they would spend more time together
that, which, who, whom, whose / when, where, what
Herold knew the Maryland countryside better
than Booth did
Powell was determined to kill
because he was loyal to Booth and the assassination plan
When Powell attacked the Seward household
, they fought back.
TELLS where, when, how, why, to what extent, or under what condition
Whatever you decide
will be fine with us.
PN: Three dollars was
what Daniel offered for the trinket
DO: Tony remembered
who he was
IO: The waiter gives
whoever sits at the table
OBJofPREP: The teachers talked about
what we should include on the test