Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Copy of Copy of Sikhism Project
Transcript of Copy of Copy of Sikhism Project
-He had a wife named Sulkhani and 2 sons named Sri Chand and Lakshmi Chand.
-Nanak became an accountant of a market and met an elementary school friend, Mardana.
-One day, he bathed with Mardana in the river Bain and Nanak didn't come up for minutes and supposedly drowned. The whole village looked for him. Nanak was actually in holy communion with God
-Three days after the incident Nanak's eyes were glowing with white light. He was changed because he gave all his possessions to the poor and gave his job to someone else.
-Nanak decided to spread Sikhism through music, with Mardana as the instrumentalist of course.
-During one of his journeys he stayed with a carpenter named Lalo. Lalo was a man on the edge of poverty. While Nanak stayed in Sadpur with Lalo, Chief Malik asked religious men to feast with him. Nanak sent Lalo in his place. Malik was furious why Nanak would do this and Nanak squeezed Malik's and Lalo's food, blood from Malik and milk from Lalo. This meant Malik used his servants energy to make things but Lalo works by himself to get what he wants.
-Another journey was when Nanak was captured by Mughal Babor. Nanak sings about slaughter of the innocent in a jail cell and Babor asks Nanak for forgiveness, therefore letting them go.
-Nanak, now an old man, Returns to Punjab and created the common kitchen, a place of all types of people to come eat and get their feet washed by Sikhs. Guru Nanak died in Punjab but set the base of the religion Sikhism. -Five main symbols Kesh, Kirpan, Kara,Kangha, and Kechhera.
-Kesh, is a uncut hair covered by turban symbolizes religious loyalty.
-Kirpan, ceremonial sword symbolizes that a Sikh is a soldier in gods army.
-Kara, steel bracelet symbolizes strength and integrity.
Kangha, small wooden comb symbolizes cleanliness and order.
-Kechhera, cotton boxer shorts symbolizes self control and chastity.
-Symbol often used Khanda, made of three parts.
-Outside two swords, show Sikh should serve god by teaching truth and fight for the right.
-Between sword circle symbolizes that god is eternal.
-Center two edged sword called Khanda symbolizes power of god.
- Their god, Ik Onkar, has a symbol -Baisakhi, new year festival celebrated in April.
-Happened Guru Gobind Singh tenth guru introduced and conducted first amrit ceremony.
-on this day tradition to renew Nishan Sahib(Sikh flag) from each Gurdwara. Led by five Sikhs representing Panj Piarey.
-Diwali, festival of the lights.Celebrated in October or November.
-Celebrates arrival of Guru Hargobind, sixth guru in Amiristar after sent to jail.
-Jehangir imprisoned Guru for raising army.
- In prison Guru met 52 innocent rajas.
-When released he rejected to accept liberty unless rajas were released.
-So Jehangir allowed rajas to go to outside world.
-To celebrate they clean house, burst crackers, and exchange sweets and gifts.
-Birthday of Guru Nanak and Guru Gobind Singh.
-Guru Nanak founder of Sikhism.
-Guru Gobind Singh last Guru in human form.
-This is celebrated in April.
-To celebrate in Punjab Gurdwaras, shops, offices, and houses are lit with candles.
-Children given new clothes. -Sikhs worship in Gurdwaras.
-Any place Guru Granth sahib treated well with respect can be referred to as the Gurdwara.
-During early Guru Sikhs worshiping places were called dharamsalas.
-As Sikh population grew bigger Guru Hargobind introduces the word Gurdwara, mean gateway through to reach the Guru.
-Enter the Gurdwara, remove shoes and cover head as a sign of respect towards the Guru Granth Sahib.
-Hands and sometimes feet are supposed to be washed.
-Entering Gurdwara expected to bow and touch flow as respect towards the eternal Guru.
-Men and women do not sit together, separated in two different sides. - God willed the universe into creation.
-Nanak said God told him other universes are out there
-God is omnipresent(Everywhere at once), timeless, sightless, shapeless, and has an unending supply of power.
- To hear/see God meditation is needed.
-The heart sees God while in meditation
-Sikhs call God Ik Onkar
-Nanak told Sikhs that the creator and creation cannot be apart. For example, separating salt from the ocean is near impossible. -To spread the word of God
-others-truthful life, equality, and to disbelieve in superstitions.
- that there's only 1 God
-that your spirits start from bug to human, to being with God. This depends on the good deeds from the former life.
-to avoid temptations and sins
-read the Guru Granth Sahib in a Gurdwara
-birthrights, religion, and sex doesn't matter for someone to join
Sikh Code of Conduct:
-Meditate on Divine Substance and the Scriptures
-Lead a life according to the Guru's
-volunteer by sweeping the floors in the Gurdwara, donating provisions to the common kitchen, and dusting the shoes of the people in the common kitchen.
-Wake up 3 hours before dawn, repeat the name Wagherguru, recite the Japj, Jaapu, and 10 Sawayyas -Sikhism holy book/scripture is the Sri-Guru-Granth-Sahib.
-Guru Ji says holy book will be guru after him.
-Sri-Guru-Granth-Sahib head of sikh religion.
-Guru Nanak bought the word of god down to the earth.
-Holy book compiled by the fifth sikh guru, Guru Arjan Dev Ji.
-The holy book is held and treated with great respect by the Sikhs.
-Guru Granth Sahib teaches the Sikhs about how god want them to live in this world. Other Interesting Facts Thank You For Watching - Population of Sikhs is around 27 million
- Worlds 5th largest religion
- Make up .39 % of the worlds population
- 83% of Sikhs live in India
- 61%live in Punjab India
* India-2200000 * Canada-389000
* USA- 278415 * United Kingdom-200000 - Created by Guru Nanak in the 16th century
- Traveled all over India and other countries talking about Sikhism
- For 200 years after Nanaks death Sikhs were led by 9 Gurus
* 1-Guru Nanak 1469-1539 * 2-Guru Angad 1504-1552 * 3-Guru Amar Das 1479-1574
* 4-Guru Ram Das 1534-1581 * 5-Guru Arjan 1563-1606 * 6-Guru Hargobind 1595-1644
* 7- Guru Har Rai 1630-1661 * 8-Guru Harkrishan 1656-1664 * 9-Guru Tegh Bahadur 1621-1675
* 10-Guru Gobind Singh 1666- 1708
-Most important changes in Sikhism was made by Guru Gobind Singh-Started Khalsa
-Khalsa is the name given to all Sikhs who have been baptized
- During time of Guru Gobind Singh Sikhs were being persecuted
- Rulers tried to impose own beliefs, Sikhs in danger of being killed,Gurdwaras taken
-Ranjit Singh, a soldier became a leader in army
-Became Ruler of empire,many Sikhs think of this time period as the golden age of Sikhs
-In 1849 British took control of Punjab
-Sikhs leaders made treaties which gave them more freedom
-1909 Sikhs in India allowed to hold own marriage services,led to Gurdwaras being returned to Sikhs
-1947 British leave and Pakistan is created as a country for muslims
- Border of Pakistan and India cut through Punjab but Sikhs wanted there own country Khalistan.Sikhs kicked out of Pakistan after Riots
-1966 India divided Punjab into 3 parts making it a state
-Sikhs continued to protest against Indian Government
- Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale was not satisfied with government.Took refuge in Golden Temple for Safety
-Indian Prime Minister was not happy and sent troops to attack the temple killing many and damaging the most revered place in Sikhism
- Sikh infuriated by Prime Minister Indira Gandhi
-October 1984 Indira is assassinated by her two Sikh bodyguards
-There were 4 days of Anti Sikh riots in India thousands of Sikhs died
-In May 2004 Manmohan Singh becomes first Sikh Prime Minister - 2 Sikh wars
First Anglo-Sikh War- 1846-1847
Second Anglo-Sikh War- 1848-1849
*First Anglo War*
-Sikh army wanted to rebel against Britain but the British knew of their plot
- War broke out in 1845 and was fought in 4 battles with losses on both sides
-Sikhs had better guns but British had better tactics which won them the war
-British used Sikh army to defend western border
*Second Anglo War*
Started with misunderstandings with a British commander which started a new rebellion
-Occurred in two stages first under a Hindu viceroy then under Sikh general
-Hindu General surrendered after first major lost but Sikhs fought for 1 more year with heavy losses on both sides
- Sikhs surrendered in 1850 and signed over the governorship of Punjab
-Sikhs won lots of respect from the English for the bravery of the Sikhs
- Henry Lawrence a british administrator of Punjab developed positive relationships with Sikhs
*1984 Anti-Sikh Riots*
-Took place after the assassination of the Indian Prime Minster Indira Gandhi by her two Sikh body guards
- The assassination was a result of Operation Blue star which was an attack on the Golden temple headed by Indira Gandhi
- Nearly 3000 Sikhs massacred in riots over the next four days
- Government criticized for not doing anything
- Many Indians made efforts to hide Sikhs
-It is alleged the Government played a part in the massacre -Worlds 5th Largest Religion
- Around 27 million followers worldwide
- Originated in India 500 years ago
- Has no links with Hinduism or Islam
- 83000 Sikh soldiers died during the two world wars
-Sikhs are living in America since 1987
-Sikhs in British Indian Army totaled over 100000
- 14 Victoria Crosses awarded to Sikhs in the years to 1945
- 1 million Sikhs live in North America
- First US Sikh temple in Stockton 1912
- Turbans approximately 15 feet long Sikh Gurus Guru Nanak 1469-1539-Founder of Sikhism,traveled all over India and surrounding countries to teach
Guru Angad 1504-1552- Is the Guru who worked out grumukhi
Guru Amar Das 1479-1574- Stressed the importance of woman preachers
Guru Ram Das 1534-1581- Wrote the hymns that sikhs used at weddings
Guru Arjan 1563-1606- Built the golden temple, tortured to death in 1606
Guru Har Gobind 1595-1644- Made sure sikhs were excellent fighters
Guru Har Rai 1630-1661- tried to make Sikhism stronger,tried to make peace between them and muslims
Guru Har Krishan 1656-1664- 5 years old when he became guru,cared for Sikh people,died at the age of 8 by smallpox
Guru Tegh Bahadur 1621-1675- Beheaded in 1675 because he refused to give up religion
Guru Gobind Singh 1666 1708-Began khalsa,special cloths Sikhs wear,5ks,said that the next guru would be the holy book