Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
The President and the Seanad
Transcript of The President and the Seanad
Aim: to explore the President and the Seanad
By the end of the lesson you will:
What is the name given to the form of government that we have in Ireland?
What is the name given to the Irish Constitution?
What does the constitution state?
What are the sections of the constitution called?
Name a symbol of Ireland.
Uachtaran na hEireann (Presidnet of Ireland)
The President is the first citizen of the state. He or she holds office for seven years. They can only be elected twice. They live in Aras an Uachtaran in the Phoenix Park Dublin. The job of the President is described in the Constitution.
The Houses of the Oireachtas (The Irish Parliament)
Have started to explore the key people and systems in our government.
Know about the Irish President.
Have learned about the Seanad.
What do you know about the Irish President?
Oath of Office
In Dublin castle the person who has won the election swears the oath in front of the two houses of the Oireachtas, the judges of the Supreme and High Court and other people.
Work of the President
Signing bills into laws.
Representing Ireland abroad.
Giving new Ministers their seal of office.
Being the supreme commander of the defence forces.
The people elected to the Seanad are called senators. There are 60 senators. Senators discuss many issues. They play a big role when bills are being passed. They can introduce their own bills too.
In the evenings, Senators might do constituency work, meet local community groups and political organisations.
1. What is our form of government?
2. What is our constitution called?
3. What are the sections of the constitution called?
4. Who is our president?
5. How long od they hold office for?
6. Where does the president live?
7. Name a job the President does.
8. How many senators are there?
9. Name a job a senator does.
10. Name one symbol of Ireland.