Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Copy of 8th Grade Kitchen Basics & Safety
Transcript of Copy of 8th Grade Kitchen Basics & Safety
To rub lightly with fat, oil, or butter
Heat oven to cooking temperature before putting food in
: To moisten foods during baking or roasting with fat, juice or sauce. Adds flavor and keeps food moist
To cut into small, uneven pieces
To gently combine ingredients or a delicate mixture
TOOLS & UTENSILS
To beat sugar and a solid fat (like butter) together until they are smooth, soft and creamy
To cook in hot liquid that has bubbles that rise and break on the surface
To cook in liquid almost boiling, but not hot enough to bubble
To cook in hot air in an oven
To cook directly under a very hot heating unit in an oven
To press and fold a ball of dough with the heels of your hands until the dough is smooth and elastic
To combine a solid fat (like shortening or butter) with dry ingredients (like flour) by cutting the fat into tiny pieces with knives or a pastry blender
To slowly move a spoon in a circle to combine ingredients
To mix ingredients until they are very smooth
To beat rapidly with a wire whisk, beater, or mixer in order to make a mixture smooth and fluffy
dry measuring cups
examples: water, oil, vinegar, milk
1. set on a flat or level surface
2. fill a liquid measuring cup
3. bend down to eye level
4. pour into bowl
examples: flour, sugar, salt,
1. heap ingredients into dry
2. level using a leveling spatula
3. empty into bowl
examples: peanut butter, shortening, butter, brown sugar
1. pack ingredients into dry measuring cup
2. level using leveling spatula
3. empty into bowl using rubber scraper
Reading a Recipe
Most recipes list ingredients and directions in the order that they occur.
Follow the recipe step-by-step!
1. Read the recipe carefully.
2. Get all utensils, tools
and ingredients ready.
3. Measure accurately.
4. Mix as directed.
5. Bake or cook the required
Washing Dishes ... PROPERLY
* Prepare your water, make sure it’s very warm,
and has enough soap to clean your dishes, but not too much
* Scrape extra food into the garbage.
* Wash the cleanest dishes first ~ followed by the dirtiest
(glasses/cups first, then silverware, and plates)
Wash pots and pan last, they will make the water greasy)
* Always wash sharp knives separately!!!
* DRY DISHES!!!!
* Put dishes away IN THEIR PROPER PLACES!
Use dry pot holders when handling hot items.
Do not leave pot holders on top of stove.
Turn handles of pans towards the center of the range.
Always lift the lids of saucepans so the steam goes
away from you and does not burn you.
Do not reach across hot burners or lit gas burners.
Keep oven door closed unless removing food.
To remove items from the oven: open the door, pull out
the rack half way, remove food using pot holders
Keep a fire extinguisher in or near the kitchen and
know how to use it!
If you have a grease fire, immediately put the lid
on the pan. If this does not work, smother the fire
with salt, baking soda, or a fire extinguisher.
NEVER PUT WATER ON A GREASE FIRE!
When you have finished cooking, make sure all
oven and range buttons or dials are turned off.
* Wipe up spills immediately, with a dry rag.
* Pick up paper, food and other objects from the middle of the floor or from any traffic area.
* Keep cupboard doors and drawers closed
* Keep all chairs pushed in
* Always pick up a knife by its handle.
* Always slice, chop, cut or dice foods on a cutting board.
* Wash sharp knives separately
* Always cut food with the blade of the knife down and slanting away from you.
* Never put your fingers near the moving parts of an electric mixer, food processor, blender or garbage disposal.
* Do not point a knife towards another person
* Misuse of any equipment will result in further disciplinary action
DO NOT PICK UP BROKEN GLASS WITH YOUR HANDS
* Tell Mrs. Burdick and everyone else in your group
* Sweep up broken glass pieces
* Wipe the area with several damp paper towels
* Place the broken glass into a box or paper bag
Mrs. Burdick's General Kitchen Rules
* If you have a question or need something stay in your kitchen and politely RAISE YOUR HAND
*Do not mosey into other kitchens- stay in your kitchen
* No snapping or whipping of towels
* Only ONE person needs to gather the supplies
* If your hair is past your shoulders ... pull it back
* No jackets, hooded sweatshirts, or loose sleeves
* Keep your jewelry, phones, and backpacks in the classroom
* Soap dispenser that is on the wall is for your hands
* Dish soap is under the sink ... please keep it there
* Only a couple drops of dish soap is necessary when washing dishes
* Clean up everything- check the sheet!!!
* Put things back where they belong
* I am not your mother- Be Respectful of my classroom and Be Responsible for your behavior
1. Put on apron ~ tie back hair ~ wash hands
2. Review recipe details
3. Put recipe in plastic paper slot on cabinet
4. Follow recipe
5. Plate and show Mrs. Burdick the finish product
6. Wash, DRY, and put away dishes
7. Wipe off counter and the sink, towels and cloths go in the washing machine
8. Fold apron up and put away
** if very dirty and gross, put in laundry basket
10. Clean eating dishes
11. Wait for Mrs. Burdick to dismiss in YOUR kitchen
by raising your hand