Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Dikult 103: Digital Genres, Lecture 1
Transcript of Dikult 103: Digital Genres, Lecture 1
Unit 2: Videogames
Unit 3: Digital Art Materials & Theory: Course Logistics:
Units 1 & 2: Leonardo Flores
Unit 3: Elizabeth Nesheim
Availability: Friday 10:00 - 12:00, 13:00-15:00, or by appointment
What is New Media? Characteristics:
"The meta-medium of the digital computer" (33)
shaped by other areas of culture:
"arts and media traditions"
"the material properties of the computer"
"contemporary visual culture"
"contemporary information culture" (39)
new media "object"
first generation electronic object
textual (command line)
Principles of New Media:
can be described formally (mathematically)
can be manipulated
discrete rather than continuous data
assembled from parts (Web)
low level - templates or algorithms
high level - AI in computer games
exists "in different, potentially infinite versions"
navigating hypertexts or games
constants become variables