Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Race - Part I
Transcript of Race - Part I
Was Reconstruction a Success?
1. African Americans were elected at all levels of government.
2. Blacks had access to public education.
3. Social Institutions were built - Schools, hospitals, families, churches ... etc.
4. Access to land.
1. Cycle of Poverty
2. Racism - KKK
3. National Dichotomy develops over issue of race.
W.E.B. Du Bois
- Believes African Americans should assimilate quickly.
- Promotes a liberal arts education for Blacks.
- Wants the most talented 10% of Blacks to help lead the country.
Booker T. Washington
- Wants Blacks to slowly assimilate.
- Promotes an industrial education (farming, factories, blue collar labor.
- Believes that Whites will accept Blacks after years of hard work.
A reading exam used to
keep African Americans
A tax paid for the right
to vote in an election.
- If Grandpa could vote, you can vote.
- Let's Whites escape poll tax/literacy test.
JIM CROW LAW:
- a law that separates Blacks from Whites in American society.
1. If it were proposed to join Alabama and Mississippi to form one state, what groups would
have to vote approval in order for this to be done?
2. Who serves as the current Secretary of Agriculture?
3. What federal issue mandates standardized exchange
for the purposes of legal tender and taxation?
Segregation - to separate within a society
based on the condition of race.
Plessy vs. Ferguson
- Homer Plessy boards a "Whites Only" train car.
- Born a free citizen and only "1/8 Black."
- Under Louisiana law, an octoroon was considered
Black according to Jim Crow legislation.
- Supreme Court ruled in favor of SEPARATE BUT EQUAL
facilities in American society.
The Gilded Age
N.A.A.C.P. (National Association for the Advancement
of Colored People)
- Founded by W.E.B. Du Bois
1. Seeks to promote peace by protesting violence
against the African American community.
2. Looks to improve the social, economic, political
and educational roles of African Americans.
Exodusters - African Americans who
move to Kansas to farm.
Are Exodusters breaking the
Cycle of Poverty?
Nope :( --- Geography
End of WWI: 1919
FIRST GREAT MIGRATION:
- Movement of Blacks to Northern Cities
Is the word "migration" racist?
1. African Americans want to escape Southern racism.
2. Boll Weevil's infest Southern crops.
3. Henry Ford and the assembly line open up new possibilities.
Resentment from Northerners
Segregation - keeping people separated based on their race.
- Jamaican Immigrant
- Fought with DuBois
- Black nationalism