Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Mandela
The Man Who Shaped a Nation
Who was Rolihlahla 'Nelson' Mandela?
July 18, 1918
What was the Apartheid?
He believed in a world undivided by color.
A legal system of strict racial segregation.
Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for
Transkei, South Africa.
by Kaley Neal, Trevon Herbert, HiuYuan Wong, Ileana Robles, and Chaira Flanders.
Are great leaders born with the ability to lead?
Great leaders define and leverage the power of their positions to have a positive impact.
Why did we choose Nelson Mandela?
He was an instrumental figure:
The end of apartheid
He was known as a troublemaker in his youth.
Involved in a boycott that led to his expulsion.
Fighting for equality for all South Africans.
How did he achieve this goal?
By joining the African National Congress.
Charismatic leader with extraordinary talents
What type of leader was Mandela?
Characteristics that verify Mandela's leadership style as Interpersonal Leadership
• Team motivator/ Team oriented
Task and Interpersonal Leadership
What are the different communication distinctions?
What is a transformational leader?
Mandela as a transformational leader
What is a visionary leader?
• Provides direction
• A great and inspirational communicator
Was Mandela passionate and empowering?
• Committed to work
• Committed to vision
• Pursued vision
• Empowered others to participate and get involved
• Inspired others to pursue equality
Credibility is vital for communication and leadership
Did Mandela appear as a credible leader?
Dimensions of credibility
Why did he have such a large following?
How did Nelson Mandela became a credible leader?
• Serve a purpose: Created a direction for followers
• Sustain hope: Boosting the spirits of followers
• Discover yourself: Consider important values and beliefs
What's happening now?
Thank you for listening.
1. Do the beliefs of Nelson Mandela’s still affect people now after his passing?
2. As a leader, would you ever resort to or endorse violence to accomplish your purposes?
Why or Why not? If you would, what circumstances would lead you to this point?
3. Nelson Mandela supported violence to accomplish his goals, but later he was an advocate of peace and wanted to end violence. Do you see leaders who change their approaches to situations (esp. so drastically) as inconsistent and hypocritical or as someone who adapts to what their followers need? Why?
4. How did Nelson Mandela’s imprisonment shape his leadership abilities?
5. How does a leader continue to influence their followers when they are isolated from them?
6. As a follower, do you continue to follow a leader when they are inaccessible to you? If so, how?
and helped end apartheid
Task and Interpersonal leader
Primary communication dimensions
Task focuses on?
Interpersonal focuses on?
Which approach did he abide by?
Interpersonal leader is concerned with relationships.
Task=Authoritarian & Interpersonal= Democratic
Ignores the positions, ideas, and feelings of others.
Engages in rigid, stylized communication
Makes demands. (NM)
Most often communicates in writing. (NM)
Makes requests. (NM)
Listens carefully to others. (NM)
Most often communicates orally.
Engages in flexible, open communication. (NM)
Recognizes the positions, ideas, and feelings of others. (NM)