Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Stephen Hawking
- Stephen had "a daughter, Lucy, was born in 1970. In the early 1970s, Hawking's work with Carter, Werner Israel and David C. Robinson strongly supported Wheeler's no-hair theorem that no matter what the original material from which a black hole is created it can be completely described by the properties of mass, electrical charge and rotation."
- Hawking returned to Cambridge in 1975 to a new home, a new job—as Reader. Don Page, with whom Hawking had begun a close friendship at Caltech, arrived to work as the live-in graduate student assistant. With Page's help and that of a secretary, Jane's responsibilities were reduced so she could return to her thesis and her new interest in singing.
Later Life (cnt.) - "In December 1977, Jane had met organist Jonathan Hellyer Jones when singing in a church choir. Hellyer Jones became close to the Hawking family, and by the mid 1980s, he and Jane had developed romantic feelings for each other. According to Jane, her husband was accepting of the situation, stating "he would not object so long as I continued to love him." Jane and Hellyer Jones determined not to break up the family and their relationship remained platonic for a long period."
- His marriage with Jane was straining, and he did find another lady. her name was Elaine Mason. He and Jane did get a divorce, later after, he got married to Elaine. He started to focus on his physics more after that.(Wikipedia.org)
- Hawking published many books. "His many publications include The Large Scale Structure of Spacetime with G F R Ellis, General Relativity: An Einstein Centenary Survey, with W Israel, and 300 Years of Gravity, with W Israel. Stephen Hawking has three popular books published; his best seller A Brief History of Time, Black Holes and Baby Universes and Other Essays, The Universe in a Nutshell, and most recently in 2010, The Grand Design." (hawking.org.uk) Introduction: Childhood/University Life: Stephen Hawking is a famous scientist that did research on black holes. "He is one of the most famous cosmologists, & theoretical physicists alive." (wiki.answers.com) Stephen Hawking; Born/childhood: Childhood : -"Born: Stephen William Hawking, 8 January 1942 (age 71)"
-Childhood: Has 2 younger sisters, and a younger adopted brother.
-Began school at the Byron House School, and later blamed it's "progressive methods" for his fail to learn to read while at school there.
-For a few months, when he was eight he attends St. Albans High School for girls. younger boys were allowed to attend one of the houses in St. Albans. - -They lived in a poorly maintenanced house, traveled by London taxicab
-Attended Radlett school for one year, then back to St. Albans
-His family couldn't afford school fees(Wikipedia.org) University Life: -At age 17 Hawking went to Oxford University. He was pretty bored/lonely the first 18 months there. That was only because he was a lot younger than the other students(Wikipedia.org)
-"Stephen wanted to study mathematics, although his father would've preferred medicine."(hawking.org.uk) University Life(cnt.): -He wasn't able to study mathematics, because at the University it wasn't available, "so he pursued Physics instead." (hawking.org.com)
-He estimated that he had studied "for about 1000 hours during his three years at Oxford".(Wikipedia.org) (St. Albans) Work Cited: "Stephen Hawking". Wikipedia.org.
Web. last modified May 8, 2013 2:10 University Life (cnt. again) - "These unimpressive study habits made sitting his Finals a challenge, and he decided to answer only theoretical physics questions rather than those requiring factual knowledge. A first-class honours degree was a condition of acceptance for his planned graduate study in cosmology at the University of Cambridge."
-Stephen was concerned that he was coming off a lazy and difficult student. "So when asked at the oral examination to describe his future plans, said 'if you award me a First, I will go to Cambridge. If I receive a Second, I shall stay in Oxford so I expect you will give me a First.' "(Wikipedia.org) University Life (still being continued..) - After 3 years, Hawking got awarded with "a First Class Honours degree in Natural Science"
- so Stephen ended up doing research in cosmology at Cambridge Picture: Picture: "Stephen Hawking: Brief Biography". hawking.org.uk
Web. Later Life/Career: In conclusion, Stephen Hawking was an extraordinary
scientist. His discoveries and