Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
The Nature of Theatre
Transcript of The Nature of Theatre
St. Ann's Warehouse, Brooklyn, NY
Theatre is a Company, or Troupe of Players.
Punch Drunk Theatre Company
Sleep No More
Theatre is an
etc. etc. etc.
But What is Theatre Capable of?
The Hardware defition:
A Building, the space for dramatic performance
The "Software" Definition
The "activity" involved in theatre
The Basic Elements of Theatre
1 - What is Performed
2- The Performance
3 - The Audience
Discover and Record
To Shape Perception
Order Our Views
Excite Our Senses
ELEMENTS OF SPECTATORSHIP
Willing Suspension of Disbelief
- Although we know the events of play are not real we agree, for the moment, not to believe them.
- We are detatched enough from the performance to view it with some objectivity.
- A feeling of involvement with the performance.
Special Qualities of Theatre
- (Verisimilitude) Theatre recreates everyday experience.
- Theatre is live performance and becomes a part of the past immediately as it occurs.
- Theatre presents both outer and inner experience through speech and action.
- Theatre combines varied elements of other art forms.
- Theatre is psychologically the most immediate of the arts because of
the simultaneous presence of live actors and spectators in the same room.