Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The Nature of Theatre
Transcript of The Nature of Theatre
St. Ann's Warehouse, Brooklyn, NY
Theatre is a Company, or Troupe of Players.
The Distracted Globe is local Greenville Theatre Company
Punch Drunk Theatre Company
Sleep No More
Theatre is an
etc. etc. etc.
But What is Theatre Capable of?
The Hardware defition:
A Building, the space for dramatic performance
The "Software" Definition
The "activity" involved in theatre
The Rest is Silence
The Basic Elements of Theatre
1 - What is Performed
2- The Performance
3 - The Audience
What is Art?
Pre-18th century art is the systematic principles to acheive some predetermined result.
By the 18th century a distinction is made between
Useful arts can be taught and mastered through specific techniques
Fine arts are products of genious that cannot be reduced to rules or principles.
reflects the tastes of the general public.
reflects the tastes of a smaller group with particular standards.
Discover and Record
To Shape Perception
Order Our Views
Excite Our Senses
ELEMENTS OF SPECTATORSHIP
Willing Suspension of Disbelief
- Although we know the events of play are not real we agree, for the moment, not to believe them.
- We are detatched enough from the performance to view it with some objectivity.
- A feeling of involvement with the performance.
Special Qualities of Theatre
- (Verisimilitude) Theatre recreates everyday experience.
- Theatre is live performance and becomes a part of the past immediately as it occurs.
- Theatre presents both outer and inner experience through speech and action.
- Theatre combines varied elements of other art forms.
- Theatre is psychologically the most immediate of the arts because of the simultaneous presence of live actors and spectators in the same room.
Art and Value
Brings us pleasure
Sharpens our perceptions
Increases our sensitivity
We gain insight into any culture
We see how that culture values theatre