Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The Heat is On - Where's the Heat?
Transcript of The Heat is On - Where's the Heat?
Will they heat up at the same temperature?
Will they cool off differently? in order to compare heat transfer to different substances
- compare equal sizes of each substance (let's same 1 gram)
- heat them up so they change just one degree celsius
- calculate how much energy was used A LOOK INTO SPECIFIC HEAT CAPACITY Think about this: the greater the number, the less it changes in temperature! q (amt. heat/energy) = (m)ass * (C) Specific Heat * change in (T)emperature Why would you need more energy for different substances? 1) Molar Mass:
the smaller the mass, the more atoms in 1 gram, the more atoms to energize!
Polar substances make more bonds that need energy to break! Higher heat capacity!
3) Complicated, large molecules:
they move, vibrate, rotate, twist and shout before breaking apart (try putting a cat in water!!!
They avoid it with mucho gusto)
Water has a particularly high specific heat - small MM; molecular (not ionic), lots of hydrogen bonds to break Where's the Heat? Why do farmers spray their oranges with water the night of a freeze? think about it! Heat and Phase Changes Once water boils at 100 degrees celsius, liquid water will not get any hotter, no matter how much more energy put in! Fact!! So where is all that heat going? going from solid > liquid OR liquid > gas
energy transferred FROM SURROUNDINGS to substance. going from a gas > liquid OR liquid > solid
energy is transferred FROM SUBSTANCE to surroundings. REMEMBER THE ORANGES WATERED BY FARMERS PRIOR TO A FREEZE? ENERGY OF FUSION GOES INTO THE ORANGE FROM THE FREEZING WATER!!!