Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Sociology of Culture
Transcript of Sociology of Culture
processes of social construction
cultural and social conflict
The notion of CULTURE
The Cultural Turn
Main themes covered
The aim of the course ...
... is to introduce basic theories of the Sociology of Culture and Cultural Studies, and their practical relevance relating to
cultural differences, and
Cultures within a society
(M. Horkheimer, Th. Adorno)
conjoining the research of working-class culture and popular media
(1970s USA - commercial tv)
culture as "a whole way of life"
reading of compulsory literature for classes in advance before every lecture
regular and active participation during classes
attendance of 70% of the classes
successful completion of two tests
mid-term (3 March) and
end-of-term (10 May)
high culture - mass culture/popular culture
How to maintain social solidarity while celebrating cultural diversity?
colony, cult, culture
Norbert Elias (1939)
The Civilizing Process
Culture = system of
norms and values?
the (re-)defining of culture
central role of culture in the Arts and Humanities and the Social Sciences
Bourdieu and the sociology of taste
Globalisation - glocalisation
Death Metal Angola
1. Introduction : Culture and Society
2. Taste and Social Stratification
3. Popular Culture and High Culture
4. Researching Subcultures: from Deviance to Neo-Tribes
5. Popular Music, Youth and Subcultural Authenticity
6. Mid-term test
7. Gender, Music and Inequality
8. Representation, Ethnicity and Culture
9. Distinction, Bad Taste and Irony
10. Rituals, Culture and Integration
11. Technology and Society
12. End-of-term test
technology --> development?
global economy: the flow of goods
global communication: the flow of information
global migration: the flow of people
high culture (elite culture)
- popular culture (mass culture)
taste is socially determined
socialisation (family, school ...)
economic - social - cultural
(i) a general process of intellectual, spiritual and aesthetic development;
(ii) a particular way of life, whether of a people, a period, a group, or humanity in general;
(iii) the works and practices of intellectual and especially artistic activity.
Culture is ...
- "applied" version of the 1st
music, literature, painting, sculpture, film, dance ...
c.f. "Ministry of Culture"