Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Social Media and Job Searching
Transcript of Social Media and Job Searching
the Job Search What is social media? It is web content that is created by the general public - like you!
aka Web 2.0 What are the benefits of using Social Media for job searching? 1. Employers are using social media to find employees.
2. You can network faster into both the hidden and advertised job market.
3. You can research employers for greater insights like never before.
4. You can create the profile you wish to project.
What is it…
Primarily for connecting with family and friends
You can share photos, videos, links and have online conversations
The worlds biggest social network
#1 destination online
More time is spent on Facebook than any other website
Over 750 million users and counting (16 million in Canada) ‣ 140 character status updates broadcast publicly
A way to stay connected
‣People choose to “follow” otherusers they find interesting
Send a public reply or private direct message
‣Updates are real time. “1 hour ago? Who cares.”
‣ ‣ Your online resume and references
Primarily for connecting with business collegues
Over 120 million users (3 million in Canada)
‣ Your professional profile.
No games. No pictures. No screwin’ around. ‣ Share short videos
‣ Medium allows for unprofessional videography to shine
‣ Builds personality in a way that text cannot
‣ Second largest search engine to Google ‣ Easy mixed-media blogging
‣ Quickly share pictures, quotes, and music
‣ Users encouraged to re-share items they like
‣ Growing rapidly
Very popular among teenage girls Google's Facebook
They have worked on the privacy problem
You have people in different groups called Circles
Just launched September 21, 2011 What would happen if I googled you? How can social networking help? Probably best for job search; portrays a more business/professional look
Can add recommendations (references) which others view
Employers use for searching for candidates
Build a network within a certain field and connect with former colleagues
You can join groups specific to your interest area
You can add keywords so employers can better find you
Have a professional photo for job search purposes
Use the learning center for tips and info
Include your linked in address in cover letters or emails Employers search when hiring so be aware of what you display and privacy settings
Has applications for job searching – Branch Out, Simply Hired, Inside Job
Go to our Facebook page www.facebook.com/NiagaraCollegeETS and you will find links to those applications
Can use to research companies
Can join groups for interests and networking
Can be used to show you know your stuff, become a contact or go to person for a subject, share links and information Can be used to follow employers
Check an hour before an interview for the latest news
TwitterJobSearch lets you either browse for jobs in categories – like accounting, sales, or IT
Expand your network with followers
Track what is happening at a company that interests you
Create a profile that portrays the professional you
Lets you talk directly to the hiring manager Social Media does have Rules Contrary to popular beliefs Social Media does have Rules.
This is especially true when you are using it for job searching.
1. Don’t Use Social Media as an Advertisement- Developing networks is more important at first. You can not advertise when no one is listening.
2. Listen- When you are first starting in Social Media see what others are saying, slang they use, what they don’t talk about. Learn the social etiquette so you can fit in. You can learn a lot by observing.
3. Give More than You Receive- Develop a give first mentality. You have to earn respect from others. How do you do this? By giving more than you receive.
4. Use consistently- If your content is not current or you have not posted for a while people will loose interest.
5. Find your content - Create, find and share content of interest to yourself and others. Become an expert in your area and do this on a regular basis. Helpful sites for Social Media knowledge
windmillnetworking.com Don't forget to like us on Facebook!