Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM


Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.


South Africa

No description

Kate Munday

on 22 June 2017

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of South Africa

South Africa
Grilled Chicken feet and heads known as walkie talkies are a popular dish in rural south Africa
There are eleven official languages of South Africa
Compared to Australia
In South Africa students have to start school at the age of seven but can start at the ages of five or six. They study Language, natural sciences, technology, economic, music and life orientation. 98% of school aged children attend school and the other 2% stay at home.
Tripe is a traditional treat in South Africa. In the Cape it is considered a regional delicacy and is often served slightly curried with small new potatoes and fried onions. Tripe
Malva Pudding is a sweet pudding of Cape Malay origin. It contains apricot jam and has a spongy caramelized texture. A cream sauce is often poured over it while it is hot, and it is usually served hot with custard and / or ice-cream
In school Australia has prep but South Africa has grade zero.
Fun Facts
The Cape Floral Kingdom is one of the worlds six floral kingdoms and the only one which is completly contained within a single country.
The world's largest themed hotel 'The Palace of The Lost City' is found in South Africa. Surrounding the Palace is a 250000 square metres of manmade botanical jungle with almost two million plants, trees and shrubs.
South Africa has three capital cities: Pretora is the main Capital, Cape town the executive Capital and Bloemfontein the legal Capital.
The population of South Africa is 50.59 million people.
Three of the traditional games of South Africa are Mancala, Kho Kho and Skippings.
School Term Duration
1 11 January - 31 March
2 18 April - 30 June
3 24 July - 29 September
4 9 October - 6 December
School starts in the morning around seven thirty to eight o'clock and ends usually between two o'clock to three o'clock in the afternoon.
There are public (state) schools and independent (private) schools operating in the basic education sector in South Africa. To attend public school the cost is R30,000($3084.36) and for a private school it is R80,000($8224.97) per year.
South Africans life expectancy is fourty-nine years, where as in Australia it is eighty-two years.
In South Africa twenty-four percent of people are unemployed whereas in Australia its five percent.
A different type of transport in South Africa is the Rickshaw which is a two wheel passenger cart pulled by one man but in Australia we have carts that a pulled by horses.
One Australian dollar is equivalent to nine Rand and seventy two cents.
This is a South African Rickshaw
This is an Australian horse and cart
How to Play
The Mancala board is made up of two rows of six holes, or pits, each. If you don't have a Mancala board handy, substitute an empty egg carton.
Four pieces—marbles or stones—are placed in each of the 12 holes. The color of the pieces is irrelevant.

1. Each player has a store to the right side of the Mancala board. (Cereal bowls work well for this purpose if you're using an egg carton.)

2. The game begins with one player picking up all of the pieces in any one of the holes on his side.

3. Moving counter-clockwise, the player deposits one of the stones in each hole until the stones run out.

4. If you run into your own store, deposit one piece in it. If you run into your opponent's store, skip it.

5. If the last piece you drop is in your own store, you get a free turn.

6. If the last piece you drop is in an empty hole on your side, you capture that piece and any pieces in the hole directly opposite.

7. Always place all captured pieces in your store.

8. The game ends when all six spaces on one side of the Mancala board are empty.

9. The player who still has pieces on his side of the board when the game ends captures all of those pieces.

10. Count all the pieces in each store. The winner is the player with the most pieces.

https://www.youtube. com/watch?v=03Y6nLVeW0o
Kho Kho, a game similar to tag.
Full transcript