Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Matthew and Alex
Transcript of Matthew and Alex
Mary Edwards Walker
She won the Medal of Honor on November 11, 1865 for her actions in the Civil War. She is the first and only woman to receive this award.
She was awarded with the Contract Acting Assistant Surgeon award in 1863 by the Army of the Cumberland, and became the first female Army Surgeon in the U.S.
She worked as a field surgeon for two years near the Union front lines, being in Fredericksburg and Chattanooga after the Battle of Chickamauga.
Even though she was denied commission as a medical officer, she still volunteered as a nurse in the Civil War.
She was the first woman to be an Army Surgeon, she was a nurse both in the hospital and on the front lines and saved many lives of the Union.