Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Stem Cell Research Con!
Transcript of Stem Cell Research Con!
-Adult tissue (Adult Stem Cell) -they offer much hope for medical advancement. Pro Life -Worry that stem cell research would make abortion seem like an alternative for a greater number of women, perhaps some that would not have considered abortion otherwise. http://www.allaboutpopularissues.org/pros-and-cons-of-stem-cell-research.htm
http://www.ehow.com/about_5106120_disadvantages-cord-blood.html -Umbilical cord blood contains stem cells similar to those found in bone marrow -Up to ten times as many stem cells can be harvested from a placenta as from cord blood. -The religious aspect is not technically cloning but many people believe you are playing the role of God by scientifically healing people.
-Will scientist become "power hungry"? Embryonic Stem Cells the extraction of stem cells from this type of an embryo requires its destruction. In other words, it requires that a human life be killed mice treated for Parkinson's with embryonic stem cells have died from brain tumors in as much as 20% of cases the research is so expensive some of the other stem cell researches such as fetal, umbilical cord, and placenta stem cells suffer with shortages on funding Adult Stem Cells -extracted from tissue and organs
ex) bone marrow - Can only repair or maintain tissue in which they are found - in a result of this procedure it causes painful destruction of the bone marrow - are rare in mature tissues, so isolating these cells from an adult tissue is challenging
- large number of cells is required for cell replacement - does not have long storage life Umbilical Cord Stem Cells - scientists overemphasize the usefulness of umbilical cord stem cells
- odds the cord blood will be used is between 1 in 1,000 and 1 in 200,000
- costs between $ 600 and $1,800 for the first year (average $1,500) high cost for such low odds
-using a person's own cord blood to treat conditions is that the cells in the cord blood can carry the same disease
-has low quantity of stem cells