Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Stem Cell Research Con!
Transcript of Stem Cell Research Con!
-Adult tissue (Adult Stem Cell) -they offer much hope for medical advancement. Pro Life -Worry that stem cell research would make abortion seem like an alternative for a greater number of women, perhaps some that would not have considered abortion otherwise. http://www.allaboutpopularissues.org/pros-and-cons-of-stem-cell-research.htm
http://www.ehow.com/about_5106120_disadvantages-cord-blood.html -Umbilical cord blood contains stem cells similar to those found in bone marrow -Up to ten times as many stem cells can be harvested from a placenta as from cord blood. -The religious aspect is not technically cloning but many people believe you are playing the role of God by scientifically healing people.
-Will scientist become "power hungry"? Embryonic Stem Cells the extraction of stem cells from this type of an embryo requires its destruction. In other words, it requires that a human life be killed mice treated for Parkinson's with embryonic stem cells have died from brain tumors in as much as 20% of cases the research is so expensive some of the other stem cell researches such as fetal, umbilical cord, and placenta stem cells suffer with shortages on funding Adult Stem Cells -extracted from tissue and organs
ex) bone marrow - Can only repair or maintain tissue in which they are found - in a result of this procedure it causes painful destruction of the bone marrow - are rare in mature tissues, so isolating these cells from an adult tissue is challenging
- large number of cells is required for cell replacement - does not have long storage life Umbilical Cord Stem Cells - scientists overemphasize the usefulness of umbilical cord stem cells
- odds the cord blood will be used is between 1 in 1,000 and 1 in 200,000
- costs between $ 600 and $1,800 for the first year (average $1,500) high cost for such low odds
-using a person's own cord blood to treat conditions is that the cells in the cord blood can carry the same disease
-has low quantity of stem cells