Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
ANSC 227: Industrial Agriculture?
Transcript of ANSC 227: Industrial Agriculture?
How do we define sustainable?
able to be used without being completely used up or destroyed
the capacity to endure
capable of being continued with minimal long-term effect on the environment
Animal agriculture: AFO, CAFO
should GMO foods be labeled as such for the consumer?
- 93% of Americans want labeling
- labeling is already required in some countries (Australia)
- cultural concerns (kosher, halal)
is USDA/FDA/scientific testing rigorous enough?
- independent researchers have trouble obtaining GMO material
- are testing methods appropriate?
what effects do GM crops have on health?
- broad consensus that consumption of GM foods pose no greater risk
- has testing been extensive enough?
- was testing been done by appropriate agencies? USDA vs. FDA
- allergen introduction = allergenicity (none have been shown)
what effects do GM crops have on the environment?
- super bugs: resistance to BT (Bacillus thuringiensis), etc.
- super weeds: escape of RoundUp resistance (e.g.) into weeds --
- reduced biodiversity (restrict number of species)
what impact do GM crops have on the independence of farmers?
- GM crops are "intellectual property"
what role should GM crops play in feeding the world population?
Genetically modified crops?
--- substantial equivalency?? ---
Americans often have an idealized view of agriculture and farming. The truth, however, is that we have
a industrialized agricultural
Ultimately, the big question we want to consider:
Is our present industrial agriculture model sustainable?
People: obesity, diet, health
Planet: environment: water, soil, air
Profit: income; quality of life
Genetically modified crops are the natural progressive step that builds on the Green Revolution.....