Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
The Lost Colony of Roanoke
Transcript of The Lost Colony of Roanoke
Where/When did it Occur
In 1587, on Roanoke island off the coast of Carolina.
What are Some Explanations
1. The word "Croatoan" was found, and that is the name of a native tribe
2. They might have tried to sail back to England on their own, and gotten lost at sea
3. People have found evidence that the some settlers split into two different groups, and joined different native tribes
I think that some of the people tried to sail back to England for supplies, but got lost at sea. Then the remaining people, weakened by the lack of supplies, were attacked by the Croatoan people and mostly killed off. Then the remaining people, unsure what to do, split into two groups and eventually joined friendly native tribes.
I used different articles all on History.com
What is the mystery?
in 1587, 115 English settlers went to Roanoke, an island off the coast of Carolina. Three years later, when the governor came back from war, the colony was completely gone. There were no traces of the colony, and the one thing found was the word "Croatoan" carved in a wooden post.