Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Copy of Muscle Health:
Transcript of Copy of Muscle Health:
Maintaining the Engine of Performance
Careful attention to fitness training
The 2011 NFL lockout: hamstrings, achilles
Test your hay!
Know WHAT you're feeding
If in doubt, test your horses!
Know WHO you're feeding
Esp horses with PSSM/EPSM
Mild Anti-inflammatory effects
Omega 3 > Omega 6 Fatty Acids
Flax Seed, Soy Oil, Rice Bran Oil
Muscle Disease from MANY different causes may all look the same!!!
Abnormal Muscle Metabolism:
** A Common Endpoint **
The "classic" syndrome:
- Firm/Painful muscles
Croup, Loin, Gluteal Muscles
- Sweating, Tremors
- Incr. resp and/or heart rate
- Abnormal Ca++ Metabolism
Decreased Muscle Function means:
Inflammation -> Pain
Acidosis -> Pain
Muscle Cell Damage
Abnormal Muscle (PSSM)
Often associated with:
- Poor Fitness
- Sudden Increases in Exercise
- Changes in weather, environment
- A second muscle problem...
- Many regions have deficiencies
- Narrow safety range
Possible Toxicities (Custer)
- Test your horses!
- Test your feed!
Polysaccharide Storage Disease
Polysaccharide Storage Myopathy:
Abnormal processing of "sugars/starches"
QH bloodlines: QH, APHA, Appaloosa
Many Draft Breeds (aka "EPSM")
Muscle stiffness, sweating , reluctance to move, Shifting lameness, tremors, "laziness"
Regular and consistent exercise
Formulate rations carefully!
Test your forages and manage carbohydrates
Test for GSY1 Mutation
Glycogen Branching Enzyme Deficiency
- Severe carbohydrate metabolism abnormality
- Present in up to 10% of QH lineages
- Diagnosis: Special Stains, DNA test
Hyperkalemic Periodic Paralysis
Abnormal Cell membrane Pump
Minimal dietary aspect
Hyper-excitability -> Spasm
DNA test to rule-out
Sycamore & Box-Elder Trees
Strep equi myositis
IV Fluid Therapy
* Diagnose the underlying cause *
* Treat the underlying cause *
Muscle cell death:
Possible Kidney complications