Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Copy of Muscle Health:
Transcript of Copy of Muscle Health:
Maintaining the Engine of Performance
Careful attention to fitness training
The 2011 NFL lockout: hamstrings, achilles
Test your hay!
Know WHAT you're feeding
If in doubt, test your horses!
Know WHO you're feeding
Esp horses with PSSM/EPSM
Mild Anti-inflammatory effects
Omega 3 > Omega 6 Fatty Acids
Flax Seed, Soy Oil, Rice Bran Oil
Muscle Disease from MANY different causes may all look the same!!!
Abnormal Muscle Metabolism:
** A Common Endpoint **
The "classic" syndrome:
- Firm/Painful muscles
Croup, Loin, Gluteal Muscles
- Sweating, Tremors
- Incr. resp and/or heart rate
- Abnormal Ca++ Metabolism
Decreased Muscle Function means:
Inflammation -> Pain
Acidosis -> Pain
Muscle Cell Damage
Abnormal Muscle (PSSM)
Often associated with:
- Poor Fitness
- Sudden Increases in Exercise
- Changes in weather, environment
- A second muscle problem...
- Many regions have deficiencies
- Narrow safety range
Possible Toxicities (Custer)
- Test your horses!
- Test your feed!
Polysaccharide Storage Disease
Polysaccharide Storage Myopathy:
Abnormal processing of "sugars/starches"
QH bloodlines: QH, APHA, Appaloosa
Many Draft Breeds (aka "EPSM")
Muscle stiffness, sweating , reluctance to move, Shifting lameness, tremors, "laziness"
Regular and consistent exercise
Formulate rations carefully!
Test your forages and manage carbohydrates
Test for GSY1 Mutation
Glycogen Branching Enzyme Deficiency
- Severe carbohydrate metabolism abnormality
- Present in up to 10% of QH lineages
- Diagnosis: Special Stains, DNA test
Hyperkalemic Periodic Paralysis
Abnormal Cell membrane Pump
Minimal dietary aspect
Hyper-excitability -> Spasm
DNA test to rule-out
Sycamore & Box-Elder Trees
Strep equi myositis
IV Fluid Therapy
* Diagnose the underlying cause *
* Treat the underlying cause *
Muscle cell death:
Possible Kidney complications