Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Prehistoric Crocodile
- lived for up to 70 years
- At the end of it's jaw it had a expansion which is called a Bulla.
-Sarcosuchus is often known for attacking small animals that come to rivers to feed, small fish and krill, and sometimes small to medium sized dinosaurs.
- one of the earliest prehistoric crocodiles first appeared in the mid cretaceous period.
- Sarcosuchus (Sarcosuchus Imperator) often grew up to 40 feet in length and sometimes up to a weight of ten tons.
- Sarcosuchus fossils have been found in areas now known as Brazil (south america) and Tenere Desert (Niger).
- Modern Crocodiles can be found in areas of Southern Florida, Mexico,cuba, jamaica, Dominican Republic, Haiti and northern regoins of South America,
- many modern crocodiles do not inhabit Brazil, like it's ancestor they live in most areas of Africa and eastern parts of Asia.
Evolution of the Crocodile
-Archosaurs first appeared in the late perian period 250 million years ago
-they divided into two evolutionary lines, Crocodiles and Dinosaurs.
- their jaws developed from land based crocodillians 230-130 million years ago
- During the age of the Dinosaurs and before Crocodiles ran around like dogs until the End of Triassic where they merged into water habitats.
How They Survived the age of the Dinosaurs
-ran around like dogs to escape predatory dinosaurs and stuck to the water
- after end of the Triassic crocodiles evolved to swim in water and become very agile to catch fish
- unlike today's crocodiles these often lived mostly on land
Prey: small mammels, fish, and some small to medium size dinosaurs.
Predators: Larger dinosaurs
Conditions: Since it had such a big body it had to focus on creatures that would fill it, therfore that meant some dinosaurs but this also made life very risky for many prehistoric crocodiles during the cretaceous.
Cool Feautures, Interesting Facts
- Sarcosuchus never stopped growing throughout it's life
- Had a unusually narrow jaw
-had a expansion at the tip of the jaw called a bulla
-eyes rolled up and down unlike today's crocodiles that move left to right
-lived in North Africa and possibly Brazil
INTERESTING FACT: Sometimes Sarcosuchus killed the great fish eating spinosuarus
-"10 Facts About Sarcosuchus." About.com Dinosaurs. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Nov. 2013.
-"| History of the Crocodile." | History of the Crocodile. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Nov. 2013.
-"How Crocodiles Survived in a Dinosaur's World: Jurassic Ancestors 'ran around like DOGS’ to Escape Predators and Ate PLANTS." Mail Online. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Nov. 2013.
-"Prehistoric Crocodiles - The Ancient Cousins of the Dinosaurs." About.com Dinosaurs. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Nov. 2013.
-"Sarcosuchus." Sarcosuchus. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Nov. 2013.
-"Sarcosuchus." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 14 Nov. 2013. Web. 15 Nov. 2013.