Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
British New York
Transcript of British New York
Many countries in Europe had interest in the lands and resources of north America.
The Dutch own New Netherland and New Amsterdam.
What problems do you think this will cause?
The British wanted to take control over New Netherland and New Amsterdam because they wanted control over the entire Atlantic coast.
The British Take Over
The British king wanted to gift his brother, Duke of York, the land that the Dutch owned in North America. This land inluded New Netherland.
Read the section "Not a Shot Was Fired"
Why were the British able to to defeat the Dutch?
What was Peter Stuyvesant's role?
What was the outcome?
Colonial Life Under British Rule
Life changed for the colonists under British rule. New York's first governor was Richard Nicolls and he was given the power to make laws and rise taxes.
money people pay for a service
Read the first two paragraphs on pg. 98. Why do you think the colony began to grow?
The Zenger Trial