Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
518: A Bloody History
Transcript of 518: A Bloody History
industrialization of Korea
- Dictator & Hero
Assassination in 1979
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acN1OBjJFqY Chun Doo-Hwan Era New Semester in March 1980
Students/Professors Back to School
Growing Democratizing movemnets
- What did they want?
The May 15 demonstration 1980 (3 days before)
- Suppressive measures taken by the state
History of the region Yet another Bloody Sunday
Sung Productions Proudly Presents: ROK army General
Power vacumn after Park
- Coup D'état of December Twelfth Operation Chungjung
- called to supress the rebellion inspired by Communist sympathizers
Paratroops with guns/batons/bayonets
May 20, Buses and Taxies, May 21, raiding of the armory, May 22, blockade
Ends in May 28
4,369 total casualties --> very disputable
Illegal custody during the period of Martial law: more than 3,000
Number of total arrests unknown http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPZen6lNInY May 18 Aftermath and Popular Culture:
Called Gwangju Uprising/Massacre vs. Gwangju Affairs
National Assembly of 1988, 1995.
- Punishments and pardons.
Popular adaptation into books, movies, even a tv series.
May 18 = national holiday
Schoppa, R. Keith. East Asia: Identities and Change in the Modern World, 1700-Present. Alexandria, VA: Prentice Hall, 2007. Print.