Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
518: A Bloody History
Transcript of 518: A Bloody History
industrialization of Korea
- Dictator & Hero
Assassination in 1979
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acN1OBjJFqY Chun Doo-Hwan Era New Semester in March 1980
Students/Professors Back to School
Growing Democratizing movemnets
- What did they want?
The May 15 demonstration 1980 (3 days before)
- Suppressive measures taken by the state
History of the region Yet another Bloody Sunday
Sung Productions Proudly Presents: ROK army General
Power vacumn after Park
- Coup D'état of December Twelfth Operation Chungjung
- called to supress the rebellion inspired by Communist sympathizers
Paratroops with guns/batons/bayonets
May 20, Buses and Taxies, May 21, raiding of the armory, May 22, blockade
Ends in May 28
4,369 total casualties --> very disputable
Illegal custody during the period of Martial law: more than 3,000
Number of total arrests unknown http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPZen6lNInY May 18 Aftermath and Popular Culture:
Called Gwangju Uprising/Massacre vs. Gwangju Affairs
National Assembly of 1988, 1995.
- Punishments and pardons.
Popular adaptation into books, movies, even a tv series.
May 18 = national holiday
Schoppa, R. Keith. East Asia: Identities and Change in the Modern World, 1700-Present. Alexandria, VA: Prentice Hall, 2007. Print.