Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Food Tests
1. Glucose: Benedict Test
Lipids / Fats:
When a sample containing fats is pressed or rubbed on a clean white sheet of paper, a greasy spot (translucent spot) appears.
Biuret solution is used to identify the presence of protein. Biuret reagent is a blue solution that, when it reacts with protein, will change colour to mauve-purple.
Major food types are:
HOW TO PERFORM TESTS FOR DIFFERENT TYPES OF FOOD
2. Starch: Iodine Test
Positive test gives dark purple - black colouring on the sample.
1.Take small amount of crushed food sample or 10 drops of aqueous solution of the sample in a test tube.
2. Add 3-4 drops of iodine solution.
3. Note any color change.
Benedict's solution is a clear blue solution that in the presence of simple sugars will change color to green, yellow, and brick-red, depending on the amount of sugar.
1. To a test tube, add food sample to be tested.
2. If testing more than one liquid, label each test tube with a marker.
3. Add 10 drops of Benedict's solution to each test tube.
4. Carefully heat the test tubes by suspending in a hot water bath for five minutes.
5. Note any color change.
Spot test using a filter paper:
1.Take a food sample to be tested and press or rub it on a clean white sheet of paper.
2.Hold it against light to see if the paper become transparent or not.
1.Take small amount of crushed food sample in a test tube.
2.If testing more than one liquid, label each test tube with a marker.
3.Add 3 drops of Biuret reagent solution to each test tube. Shake gently to mix.
4.Note any color change.
Biuret Solution contains the same amount of sodium hydroxide and copper sulfate solution.