Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM


Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.


Make your likes visible on Facebook?

Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.

No, thanks

Copy of Northern Highlands HS Applied Tech_Doc/Presentation Templet

No description

Tyler Butwin

on 22 March 2013

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of Copy of Northern Highlands HS Applied Tech_Doc/Presentation Templet

Tyler And Alex Magnetic Levitation Thank you for your attention! The Objective Research Develop Alternative Solution After testing our prototypes, we knew that some changes were needed. So, first of all, we looked around at other people designs and realized we needed to scrap ours. We went back to the drawing board. Basing our final off all the best prototypes in the class greatly helped us. We took advantage of our surroundings and by doing so we came up with the best final design we could think of. (at the time) We also started swapping pieces with one of another to make the best design possible. Select the Best Solution Build Evaluate and Redesign During our prototyping period, we ran into some troubles. First of all, we discovered that it was not as easy to use all the tools as we expected. The struggles with the tools led to some sloppy cuts and spots on the prototype. We also learned we had to be careful because the back of our prototype cut cut off by another persons motor . Prototype Test 1900 - Robert Goddard and Emile Bachelet came up with the concept of frictionless trains.
1930 - German scientist Hermann Kemper studied the use of magnetic fields with airplanes and trains
1969 - American scientists James R. Powell and Gordan T. Danby patented the first design for magnetzic levitational trains
1970 - Germans and Japanese start research and development towards their versions of maglev technology
Looked at some mag levs in different countries for there shape and all around design In this design brief, the goal was to design and build a magnetic levitation train that could make it down our track as fast as possible. Everyone individually had 2 blocks of foam, a motor with a propeller, 2 Popsicle sticks, 1 Masonite, 1 foam core, 1 straw, 1 wooden dowel, and 1 long thin piece of wood. We were also given 6 magnets each. We were aloud to give materials and/or swap materials With your partner.Our Mag Levs also had to meet some criteria. They could be no less then 8in. long and no more then 10in. long. The width also had to be 2.5in. Our Top Time: 2.08 seconds
Best in class time: 1.33 seconds Our tower maglev was not the nearly the fastest in theclass. This can mainly be attributed to the design changes we made by over thinking our simple designs. Also, We started to build out final with only 2 building class periods left to build. This put us under pressure and made the last couple periods very stressful. Overall, the maglev worked, but I feel it could have been faster and if we could do it again there would be some changes. This design was flawed in a few ways. One way was a human error made which was not making precision cuts of the foam. One wrong cut lead to a waste of a foam block that hurt in the long run. The wrong cut lead to many of the other flaws of this prototype such as a balance issue that was very hard to deal with. We had to make a makeshift stabilizer on the front of the prototype to deal with balance in every direction. (the wood on the front is the stabilizer) Chinese MagLev Japanese MagLev This Prototype also failed in few ways. Balance was another big issue we had to deal with. On this prototype we had to deal with the up and down balance and not the side to side. We put 2 quarters on the front and that really helped with the balance issue. This prototype also had a problem with the motor hitting the side of the track which we should have accounted for before we built it. While building our second Prototype we encountered most of the same problems as the first. It was real challenge to use the tools and especially the drill which we needed to make a hole for the motor to go in. We also forgot to turn off the power after we ran our maglev which would have been a D&F for the final testing. We knew we would need to remember that for our final testing. Our final Product looked like this Side view Top View Bottom view Pros:
Being able to look around the room and see what others are doing
Having Mr.Brunner there to answer questions and give advice.
Saving material during the prototype stage and having as much as needed for final stage
Having Extra wire to solder (we messed up our wires plenty of times
Connection to track was very challenging
Not enough time for building
Too much over thinking (ruined simple designs)
Didn't take enough pictures during the build If we were to redesign our maglev I would take a different approach on it. We based our maglev off of what we thought would work in real life. While we needed to take into consideration that it wasn't really going to carry people and we just needed to get it down the track as fast as possible. This was our best test where we ran a 2.08 sec.
Full transcript