Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of CHEMISTRY PROJECT
Metal Coupling In Rusting Of Iron
In this project the aim is to investigate the effect of metals coupling on the rusting of iron. Metal coupling affects the rusting of iron. If the nail is coupled with a more electro-positive metal like zinc, magnesium or aluminum rusting is prevented but if on the other hand, it is coupled with less electro- positive metals like copper, the rusting is facilitated
Process of rusting
A better understanding of steel corrosion and inhibition mechanisms has been achieved through characterization and modeling of steel surface and corrosion products .
Metallurgy approaches have been made to produce high-performance steel with a fine-grain structure.
Technologies are being developed to limit corrosion to a minimum level. More research is being conducted in various fields for corrosion protection, and there are huge new scopes for further research.
By understanding the cause of corrosion and by these protective measures, the rate of corrosion can be kept in an allowable range and in some cases corrosion can even be stopped.
1. At first, we have to clean the surface of the iron nails with the help of sand paper.
2. After that we have to wind the zinc strip around one nail, a clean copper wire around the second & clean magnesium strip around the third nail. Then put all these three and fourth nail in Petri dishes so that they are not in contact with each other.
3. Then to fill the Petri dishes with hot agar agar(a jelly) solution in such a way that only lower half of the nails are covered with the liquids. Cover the Petri dishes for one day or so.
4. The liquid set to a gel on cooling. Two types of patches are observed around the rusted nail, one is blue and the other is pink. Blue patch is due to formation of potassium ferro-ferricyanide where pink patch is due to formation of Hydroxyl Ions which turns colorless phenolphthalein to pink
Rusting of iron consists of the formation of hydrated oxide, Fe(OH)3
It is an electrochemical process which requires the presence of water, oxygen and an electrolyte. In the absence of any one of these rusting does not occur to any significant extent.
Metals and alloys undergo rusting and corrosion. The process by which some Metals when exposed to atmospheric condition i.e., moist air, carbon dioxide form undesirable compounds on the surface is known as corrosion.
The compounds formed are usually oxides. Rusting is also a type of corrosion but the term is restricted to iron or products made from it
Iron is easily prone to rusting making its surface rough. Chemically, rust is hydrated ferric oxide. (Fe(OH)3)
METAL COUPLING IN RUSTING OF IRON