Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of The Guitar
Function of the Electric Guitar
The electric guitar is used globally by musicians to create amplified layers of melodies in certain types of music, especially Country and Rock.
Major Materials in the Electric Guitar
- Two of the most popular woods for the body of an electric guitar are poplar and maple. Poplar has a slight green pigment, and is usually light weight. Maple, which is most commonly used in the neck of the guitar is usually very solid, and has a straight grain, and amplifies sound well.
- The strings on an electric guitar are most often wound with steel.
History of the Electric Guitar
Adolph Rickenbacker and George Beauchamp
Year of Invention:
Location of Invetion:
January 2, 2014
Gaskell, Kevin. "Woods Used in Making 21st Century Electric Guitars." Gaskell Guitars. Gaskell Guitars, 30 Oct. 2013. Web. 18 Dec. 2013.
"Guitar Strings." Guitar Strings. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Dec. 2013.
"How Guitars Work :: Invention of the Electric Guitar :: Smithsonian Lemelson Center." How Guitars Work :: Invention of the Electric Guitar :: Smithsonian Lemelson Center. Smithsonian National Museum of American History, n.d. Web. 18 Dec. 2013.
Hunter, Dave. "All About Tonewoods." GuitarPlayer. New Bay Media, LLC, 28 Jan. 2008. Web. 19 Dec. 2013.
"Raw Materials." World Steel Association -. World Steel Association, n.d. Web. 22 Dec. 2013.
Seely, Oliver. "PHYSICAL PROPERTIES OF COMMON WOODS." PHYSICAL PROPERTIES OF COMMON WOODS. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 Jan. 2014.
"U.S. Petroleum Coke Imports." U.S. Energy Information Administration. U.S. Energy Information Administration, 30 Dec. 2013. Web. 01 Jan. 2014.
"Warmoth Custom Guitar Products." Warmoth Custom Guitar Parts. Warmoth Guitar Products, n.d. Web. 01 Dec. 2014.
"When Was the Electric Guitar Invented?" Curiosity. Discovery Communications, LLC, n.d. Web. 18 Dec. 2013.
"WHERE IS IRON ORE MINED?" Technology Student. V. Ryan, 2011. Web. 30 Dec. 2013.
"World Pig Iron Producing Countries." Mapsofworld.com. Compare Infobase Ltd., n.d. Web. 26 Dec. 2013.
The Electric Guitar
Reason for these Materials
Steel strings were chosen for the electric guitar because of their durability and intense level of sound. Maple is used in electric guitars because of its firmness, and ability to amplify sound well. Poplar is used in the guitar because it is lightweight, (with a density of 26.66 pounds per cubic foot) and is slightly higher pitched than most guitars.
Poplar Guitar Body
Origin of Steel
The raw materials in steel are, iron ore, petroleum coke, and pig iron.
China, Australia, and Brazil are the world's largest producers of iron ore. Iron ore is turned into carbon to be used in the steel.
Petroleum coke is produced in Chicago and Detroit, as well as other cities.
Pig iron is mainly produced in China. It is wrought to be used in the making of steel.