Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
9.1 Describing and Measuring Motion
Transcript of 9.1 Describing and Measuring Motion
motion - an object is in motion if the distance from another object (reference point) is changing.
Are you moving as you sit in your chair?
international system of units (SI -units) - units of measurement decided on by scientists and used internationally
As Homer sits lazily in his chair he is both in motion and stationary simultaneously. In order to determine motion you must have a reference point. Pick 3 reference points that put Homer in motion and 3 that make Homer stationary:
In Motion Stationary
Make sure you can answer the following questions:
1. How do you know if an object is moving?
Think about the following question while you watch the video:
1. What does it mean to be in "motion"?
2. If there was only one object in all of existence, is it possible for it to be in motion?
3. What does it mean to say that "motion is relative"?
reference point - a place or object used for comparison to determine if something is in motion.
stationary - when an object is not in motion it is said to be stationary
This is an unanswerable question without knowing what you reference point is.
Relative motion - the concept that motion can only be determined relative to a reference point
meter - SI unit of distance
4. Have you ever thought that you were moving and then realized you were not?
2. If you are riding in a car, describe your motion relative to the car, the road, and the sun:
3. What is the SI unit for length?
4. If Kendall climbed 1.6 kilometers and Ian flew 1500 meters, who traveled the greatest distance?
5. If there was only one object in all of existence, would it be possible for it to be in motion? Explain.....