Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Gay Rights
religious persons do not approve
is illegal for multiple reasons
1996 President Bill Clinton signs DOMA upholding a states right to ban same-sex marriage
DOMA is the "Defense of Marriage Act
Massachusettes is the first state to allow same-sex marriages
May 17 was the date Massachusettes began holding same-sex marriages
Gay people should be treated the same as straight people
Why should people be treated differently based on who they are in love with?
If gay marriages are banned in the U.S. how does that make us a free country?
People are people, we are all human why does it matter who we are in love with?
Gay marriage is mainly repelled by haters, and sexist persons
Religious persons also oppose gay marriage, and gay rights
Don't Ask, Don't Tell Issued by Bill Clinton in 1993
What the policy is, is it allows gay, and homosexual persons to serve in the military
the gay and homosexual persons serving in the military are not allowed to show they are gay so open relationships are not allowed
the policy was activated as a compromise
there used to be an absolute ban on allowing gays to serve in the military
more than 13,000 troops have been discharged from the military for being gay
that averages two a day
President Obama is on the road to destroying the policy
getting rid of the policy will take time, but President Obama and his wife are supportive Christians Day of Silence Not all Christians are against supporting gay rights
"Day of Silence" is supposed to promote homosexuality, and help lessen bullying
Gay activist groups have been sponsoring the "Day of Silence" all over the US in schools
The Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network targets schools all around the country to make them safe for gay students
There is still a large number of Christian groups against supporting Gay Rights
The "Day of Silence" is not only to promote Gay Rights like Christian groups view it as, it is more targeted towards lessening bullying
The ministry Exodus International is also a group trying to lessen bullying
Exodus International has sponsored a website called "Day of Truth" meant to offer students ideas, and ways to talk about their issues
Lately, some succesful gay marriage partners have been sharing their secrets to marriage success
The secret is that monogamy is not the central feature for many gay couples
Gay and lesbian couples argue they have longer lasting relationships this way
In the Bay Area, these types of relationships are all over the place
About 50% of the couples surveyed have sex outside their relationships
Most open relationships need rules for the couples to follow to stay happy
Transgender Discrimination Protection There is a law in 38 states that make it legal for school districts and local schools able to make hiring decisions regarding transgendered teachers
Most Americans do not realize that in 29 states in this country it is legal to fire someone for just being gay
How is this legal?
How is this in anyway fair?
People need to become aware.
Why People Oppose Gay Marriage:
1. Not comftorable with the idea
2. It offends everything religion stands for
3. Marriage is a sacred institution and gay marriage violates that sancity
4. Gay sex is unnatural
5. A man making love to another man betrays everything that is masculine
6. The thought of gay sex is repulsive
7. They might recruit
8. Gay marriage would undermine sodomy laws
9. Gay marriage would legitimixe homosexuality
The Arguments Against Gay Marriage
1. Marriage is an institution between one man and one woman
2. Marriage is for procreation
3. Same-sex couples aren't the optimum environment in which to raise children
4. Gay relationships are immoral and violate the sacred institution of marriage
5. Marriages are for ensuring the continuation of the species
6. Same-sex marriage would threaten the institution of marriage
7. Marriage is traditionally a heterosexual instituion
8. Same-sex marriage is an untried social experiment
9. Same-sex marriage would start us down a "slippery slope" towards legalized incest, bestial marriage, polygamy and all manner of other horrible consequences
10. Granting gays the right to marry is a "special right"
11. Churches would be forced to marry gay people against their will
12. If gay marriage is legalized, homosexuality would be promoted in the public schools
13. Gay marriage and its associated promotion of homosexuality would undermine western civilization
14. If gay people really want to get married, all they have to do is to become straight and marry someone of the opposite sex
How YOU Can Help When eighteen you can register to vote, and vote for candidates that support gay rights
You can sign a petition for supporting gay rights
You can write your state senator or representative telling them how you feel about Gay Rights
You can contact the White House
Support Gay Schools (Participating in the "Day of Silence" shows that in alot of ways)
Volunteer for a Gay Rights Organization
You can lobby for Gay Adoption!
You can help by making sure if you have any gay friends that if they are being bullied or teased about being gay that you are there for them to talk to, and encourage them to talk to someone
WE ALL CAN STOP BULLYING
WE ALL CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!