Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Chapter 14: Supranational Cooperation in the EU
Transcript of Chapter 14: Supranational Cooperation in the EU
Unit 4: Europe and Russia
Ch. 14: Supranational Cooperation in the European Union
The European Union is an organization of 27 countries that are
Economic Cooperation in the E.U.
Political Cooperation in the E.U.
Cultural Cooperation in the E.U.
Welcome to the European Union!
Ticket out of the Door
Ch. 14 L2
1. What is the European Union?
2. Name one economic, political, and cultural force that unites countries AND name one of each that divides countries in the E.U.
3. Name 5 countries in Europe!
Standards and Objectives
SS.912 W2.13 and SS.912 W2.16
1. Explain what the European Union is and what supranational cooperation is
2. Compare and contrast forces that divide and unite countries in the European Union
3. Name and locate at least 5 European countries
- Member countries have open borders with each other
- The E.U. has it's own government that rules over all of the member countries
- All countries are separate, but they share the same goals and work together
- What are centrifugal forces?
- What are centripetal forces?
- Europe is a region made up of many
peoples and countries
- Have all the countries in Europe worked together throughout history?
- Read page 214
-By 1958, six countries created the
; what was it?
Economic differences between
E.U. members cause problems
- Wage issues
- Wealthy vs. poor E.U. countries
vs. unstable economies
What economic forces unite the E.U.?
- elimination of tariffs
- Common currency made in 2002:
- Countries have joined to create a
; what is it?
- common approaches
to solving problems
- European citizenship over citizenship of home countries
- Voting in elections and citizenship in all member countries
How does the E.U. government work?
- Giving up power to be a member
- Growing size of the E.U.
- Citizenship in the E.U. is questionable for some
- Common symbols
- National anthem
- Europe day
- Communication barriers
- Competition/ rivalry between countries
- Cultural traditions conflict
- The E.U. is the best example of supranational cooperation in the world today
- It works because members are willing to give up some of their power
- HOWEVER, some want a continued E.U., others believe it should be erased completely
Ticket out of the Door
Ch. 14 L1
1. Give an example of a centripetal force in the E.U.
2. Give an example of a centrifugal force in the E.U.
3. Where is the E.U. government and how does it work?