Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Project Management and Project Portfolio Management
Transcript of Project Management and Project Portfolio Management
2. Failure to set and manage expectations
3. Poor leadership
4. Failure to adequately identify, document, and track requirements
5. Poor plans and planning processes
6. Poor effort estimation
7. Cultural issues
8. Misalignment between the project team and the business
9. Inadequate or misused methods
10. Inadequate communication, including progress tracking & reporting
- Frank Winters, www.gantthead.com The fundamental objective of PPM is to determine the optimal mix and sequencing of projects to achieve business objectives. " " ... a shift akin to that of the birth of mass media in renaissance era. It's that big. Jason Davis firstname.lastname@example.org
Erin Sullivan email@example.com
Katie Britton firstname.lastname@example.org maturity of Project Management Function But I am not a project manager, I am the expert in.... www.sysev.com Project Management and Project Portfilio Management Not to be confused with..... Program management is the process of managing several related projects Or.... Term used by project managers (or PMOs) to describe methods for analyzing and collectively managing a group of current or proposed projects Project Portfolio Management (PPM) Program Management Project Management What does a project manager do? Develop the project plan Manage project stakeholders and project team Project Execution - Driving Task Prioritization & Completion Manage the project schedule Practice Risk & Issue Management Manage the project budget Allocate Resources & Identify Gaps Gantt Chart - WBS Business Case - Risk Management Plan Communications Plan Project Charter Cost Management Plan Readiness Assessments Issue/Enhancement Logs Requirements ..... and more! Can't we just manage these projects on the side? Drive Project Management Discipline Employee
Relations Compensation Staffing Finance Benefits HRIS THINK LIKE A PM UNDERSTAND THE
FUNDAMENTALS CRAWL BEFORE YOU WALK
WALK BEFORE YOU RUN = Think big(ger)... + Know when to call the experts + Tackle the Elephants Early How do I know which projects to work on? COST Resource
Consumption Timeline Benefits/Return Relationships with other projects Impact to Organization Pipeline management is a great first step Answers the question: Can I execute my identified projects, given my available resources Project-by-Project decisions
Portfolio management in it's infancy Metrics Defined and in use, Projects are ranked and evaluated PPM is a core competency.
PMO is optimized "Project vs. Program Management: Project management is like juggling three balls - time, cost and quality. Program management is like a troupe of circus performers standing in a circle, each juggling-three balls and swapping balls from time to time."
- G. Reiss Some Project Management Trueisms...
The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time the last 10% takes the other 90%
If everything is going exactly to plan, something somewhere is going massively wrong
Anything that can be changed will be changed until there is no time left to change anything
If you can interpret project status data in several different ways, only the most painful interpretation will be correct
2009 Standish Report:
32% of projects were considered successful
24% (1 in 4!) were considered failures
44% challenged (late, over budget, or reduced functionality) Expert Roger Sessions estimated that IT failure costs the global economy a staggering $6.2 trillion per year Thank you! Executive Sponsor Compliance Legal IS Org Dev