Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Ukraine Russia Border issues
Transcript of Ukraine Russia Border issues
Russian Speaking Demographic
Ukraine Russia Border Issues
By: Daniel, Avery, Shawnie, & Tessa
Government of Ukraine
• Three branches of Government (Executive, Legislative, Judicial)
• President is Head of State. Elected by popular vote for 2 5-year terms. Has influence in Executive branch but cabinet of ministers has higher authority. Prime minister is head of cabinet
• Legislative branch composed of 450 People’s Deputies. Appoint officials and judges, make laws and treaties and amend constitution. Appointed 9 years.
• Judicial branch consists of domestic courts, constitutional court and Supreme Court
Shifts in Power
February 21 Constitutional amendment restricts power of president
February 22 Viktor Yanukovych flees
February 23 Parliament names Olexander Turchynov acting president
February 24 Parliament ousts President Yanukovych and issues a warrant for arrest
March 13 Ukraine's parliament votes to create a National Guard to defend the country.
Suspencion of G-
Suspencion of OCED Membership
Suspencion of EU-Russia
Assets freeze & Trazel Bans
Russian Banks Sanctions
Ukraine and Crimea
Why it is Global
Russian Empire 1880
Ukraine Independence 1991
Key Thinkers from around the world
"The biggest hammer that we can drop is sectoral sanctions, and the clearest trigger for those is eastern and southern Ukraine."
“...the notions that nations do not simply redraw borders or make decisions at the expense of their neighbors simply because they are bigger or more powerful.”
"Crimea has always been and remains an inseparable part of Russia… And in case of Ukraine, our western partners have crossed the line. They acted primitively, irresponsibly and unprofessionally. ”
President of Ukraine
"Crimea is a tragedy, a major tragedy…We must set such a task and search for ways to return to Crimea on any conditions, so that Crimea may have the maximum degree of independence possible…but be part of Ukraine"
Governmen of Russia:
President is also head of state. Prime minister is head of Executive branch (appointed by president and parliament approval). Prime minister in charge of council of ministers. Can serve 2 consecutive and 1 nonconsecutive 6-year terms
Legislative branch divided into two houses. Upper house is the Federation Council. (166 members of 2 representatives from governments in each area, region, territory and republic.) Lower is State Duma. (450 members serve 5-year terms.) Civic Chamber advises government officials. (126 members appointed by president or other chamber members. Serve 2 year terms)
Judicial branch consists of constitutional court and Supreme Court. Different chambers for criminal, civil, military cases.
Ukraine and Russia started USSR and joined as one republic
Crimea joined Russian SSR (1945-1954) and later joined Ukraine SSR from (1954-1991)
Fascism and corruption lead to cold war which brought the end of USSR
Ukraine gained autonomy again and Crimea became autonomous republic within Ukraine
Crimea establishes own SSR from (1921-1945)