Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Transcription
- Transcription is part of the Central Dogma of Molecular Biology.
It is a process that makes RNA
RNA is similar to DNA but has important differences.
There are different types of RNA that have different functions
What is Transcription?
-Transcription is a process that copies 1 gene.
-Transcription is the first step in the process of
making a protein
- Transcription results in the formation of RNA
Molecular Biology's Central Dogma
-states that DNA makes RNA makes Protein
-From DNA (central information repository)
to RNA (copy of 1 gene)
to Proteins (actual expression of the gene)
- There are 2 process in the central dogma
Transcription and Translation.
- Today we are focusing on Transcription
RNA- Ribose Nucleic Acid
Similarities with DNA
Transcription: the process
1. RNA Polymerase combines with other proteins at the start of the gene to make the Transcription complex.
2. The RNA Polymerase copies the DNA template (very similar to DNA Poly III)
3. It copies a section of DNA by "snapping
on" Nucleotides to an unwound DNA.
-Only 1 of the stands of DNA are copied.
Types of RNA
Messenger RNA (mRNA)- intermediate information
carrier in the formation of a protein
Ribosomal RNA (rRNA)- Ribosomes are made from 2 proteins called subunits and a small piece of RNA
Transfer RNA (tRNA)- brings amino acids to the
mRNA to make proteins
Differences with DNA
Made of nucleotides
The sugar in RNA is Ribose
The Nitrogen base Thymine (T) is
replaced with Uracil (U)
Both have a sugar/
RNA is single stranded or has
Both are copied using Enzymes
RNA is copied from 1 strand only
DNA both strands are copied
(we will learn about this later this week)
Lets practice transcription pairing
Remember: DNA A & T C & G
RNA U replaces T C & G
C G A T A T C G A
2. DNA A C T A G A T C G
A G C
-Ribose is the sugar in the backbone
- Base Pairing
A <----> U
C <----> G