Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Classroom Discussions 1: Using math talk to help students learn
Transcript of Classroom Discussions 1: Using math talk to help students learn
Talk Format 2: Small Group Discussion
Talk Format 3: Partner Talk Promoting Learning Cognitive Aspects of Student Talk:
"We've all experienced learning about a concept by just listening, after we listening to the teacher, we may feel that we understand. However when asked to put the concept into words, we may not have as deep an understanding as we thought." Classroom Talk Promotes Student Learning by...
Building community & developing social skills
Providing direct access to ideas through dialogue
Enabling peers to support each other's thinking, conjecturing, exploring and sharing of ideas
Providing opportunities through discourse for aspects of math to be understood Gives students opportunities to reflect
Gives students practice on reflecting on their thinking
Allows for internal processing of concepts
1. Planning & Projecting: Creating a Road Map
2. Improvising & Responding: In the Midst of the Lesson
3. Summarizing & Solidifying: So Where Are We Now? Plan Ahead
Identify important mathematical ideas
Consider possible mis-conceptions or difficulties
Identify specific talk formats Plan for improvisation - respond in the moment At some point you may feel overwhelmed, that's ok...
Step back & review what's been said so far
Review the most important aspects of the lesson
Create time to summarize & clarify