Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
#1.5 Music in the Movies
Transcript of #1.5 Music in the Movies
Music in the movies occurs in 2-3 different formats
Diegetic music is what is referred to as "source music"
From the following examples what does music do for the following sequences emotionally and for foreshadowing the story
Non-Diegetic music is there to shape a viewer's expectations as to what will occur within the film. It serves as foreshadowing, may be emotional, unrealistic, or even fantastical
From the diegetic music in the following scenes, what can you tell me about characters, social class, and function of the music?
Clip #1: Psycho
Clip #2: Star Wars
It exists within the world of the film
Characters within the film can HEAR the music
Non-diegetic music is also known as underscoring
How does the music directly affect the scene? Discuss instruments, tempo, key/tonality, etc.
Double-duty music: Serves as both source and underscoring music simultaneously
The Godfather: Baptism Murders
Example #2: cue to 1:00
Some scenes can start as one type of music and shift to another, like this scene from "Blazing Saddles"