Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Wednesday 2/24/16
Roots: Picto Quiz
Hughes and the Blues
Let's take a look at the relationship between Langston Hughes' poems and the blues.
Introduction and Thesis Statement
THESIS-- a sentence that expresses the main idea of the essay clearly. The last sentence in the introduction.
2- transition sentence including author and title of texts; connects hook to thesis
Supporting Reasons and Counterarguments
Three body paragraphs--
1. supporting reason plus two pieces of textual evidence
2. supporting reason plus two pieces textual evidence
3. counterargument with related reason (Many people may argue that school uniforms will help students fit in with each other, but clothing is not the only way that students judge one another.)
Number your paragraphs.
Inlcude the author's last name and the paragraph number in parentheses-- no comma. If you don't have an author, use the article title or source title (CDC) or (Should School Uniforms be Used 5)
(Swanson 6) or (Goutter 5)
The punctuation in your sentence goes AFTER the parentheses. The citation goes after the quotations.
"Raspberries are delicious"(Swanson 2).
1-Restate your thesis in new words.
2. Broaden the thesis-- why is it important??
3. Closing statement-- a call to action (suggestion of what the readers should do now that you've convinced them)
Catch up day
1. Book of puns-- one of each type; remember the prezi is available if you need it (Class notes; website)
2. "Dream Deferred" poem
3. Blues poem
4. Review for research sim by writing a completed outline.
(For this review, you will read the texts and answer the multiple choice questions. Then, prepare for how you would write the essay if you had to by creating a comprehensive outline.)
Edward Teller (Hungarian: Teller Ede; January 15, 1908 – September 9, 2003) was a Hungarian-born American theoretical physicist who is known colloquially as "the father of the hydrogen bomb", although he claimed he did not care for the title. He made numerous contributions to nuclear and molecular physics, spectroscopy (in particular, the Jahn–Teller and Renner–Teller effects) and surface physics. His extension of Enrico Fermi's theory of beta decay, in the form of the so-called Gamow–Teller transitions, provided an important stepping stone in its application, while the Jahn–Teller effect and the Brunauer–Emmett–Teller (BET) theory have retained their original formulation and are still mainstays in physics and chemistry. Teller also made contributions to Thomas–Fermi theory, the precursor of density functional theory, a standard modern tool in the quantum mechanical treatment of complex molecules. In 1953, along with Nicholas Metropolis and Marshall Rosenbluth, Teller co-authored a paper which is a standard starting point for the applications of the Monte Carlo method to statistical mechanics.