Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
What is Africa? F14
Transcript of What is Africa? F14
3x the land area of the U.S.
10% of world population
--800 million people
"Is there any meaningful sense in which we can speak of 'Africa' as a 'place'?"
Misleading to generalize
i.e. the culture/people etc of 'Africa'
--different historical experiences
vs other regions
Africa as an 'Idea'
Susan George (1993) "One can almost hear the sound of sub-saharan Africa sliding off the world map"
“the study of the beliefs and practices of social actors within society…in which societies and social groups are treated as open ended systems…”
Perspectives Of Anthropology
What do we mean the 'holistic' perspective?
"no single aspect of a human community can be understood without exploring its relation to other aspects of the community’s total way of life”
- Look for internal logic to cultural systems
- Evaluate each culture on its own terms, without bias
As opposed to 'ethnocentrism'
--attitude that one's own culture is the best/superior
--used to judge others
Moral Relativism vs Methodological Relativism
How do we avoid being ethnocentric?
-Reconsider your own cultural background
-Ask...'Why does this bother me?'