Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
My Journey to get into Graduate School
Transcript of My Journey to get into Graduate School
(MPH) Major: Architectural Studies (Design)
Minors: Environment & Science
Biology Pivotal course: Environment & Human Health It was in my 4th year when I finally decided to make the switch... One-year internship with Africa's Children-Africa's Future (AC-AF)
[Found through the Career Centre ]
- Orphan & Vulnerable Children Support Programme (sustainable programming for child-headed households in African communities)
- u+me=we programme (HIV and AIDS education and awareness) So to get myself into grad school...
I gave myself a year after graduating to become a competitive applicant...
* Professional program - no guaranteed funding
* Practicum component - paid position not guaranteed
* Be prepared mentally + financially for grad school...
* I could have applied for the Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) - even if I wasn't accepted yet... (early deadlines)
* CIHR training program in public health policy - apply early, stipends ~$17,000 provided...
* OSAP/UTAPS What I wish I'd known at this time... Specialization: Health Promotion
Global Health Focus
Community Development Collaborative Meanwhile, I started getting involved in the university community... Tutoring and Mentoring through New College/ U of T Programs This lead to me volunteering with children and families living with cancer... Working with children and youth from abusive home environments, living with autism ...
Note: I've been told that it was my previous experiences with diverse families, children living with health issues that got me this position... Decided that I wanted to pursue Public Health
I knew I would need to go to graduate school... Interested in affordable housing -
Executive with Habitat for Humanity, U of T Chapter Saw the immense potential in addressing root causes of health issues... Research Assistant at OISE through Work-Study
* Global Health My application...
Master of Public Health (Social & Behavioural Health Sciences Stream) 1) 2 references
2) Statistics Requirement
3) Transcripts (min. mid-B in final 5 FCE)
5) Letter of Intent Letter of Intent
- start early
- seek out resources (Career Centre workshops, borrow books, look at examples...)
- what makes you unique CV
- make it seem like you are a perfect fit
e.g. Section "Social justice and inequities experience" I was juggling a lot of different responsibilities...
- Time management was key (Google calendar, organizer... do what you need to do. )
- Schedule in events, be realistic
- Concept of ROI Applied for Work Study
- Research experience
- Some $$ If absolutely necessary....Education Line of Credit For me - I combined my interest in the built environment with health - especially for vulnerable populations/ children and youth What I'm doing now...