Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
What is Africa? F13
Transcript of What is Africa? F13
3x the land area of the U.S.
10% of world population
--800 million people
"Is there any meaningful sense in which we can speak of 'Africa' as a 'place'?"
Misleading to generalise, i.e. the culture/people etc of 'Africa'
--different historical experiences
--"development islands" vs other regions
Africa as an 'Idea'
Mbembe: "the oscillation between the real and imaginary, imaginary realized and real imagined, does not only take place solely in writing. This interweaving also takes place in real life"
Susan George (1993) "One can almost hear the sound of sub-saharan Africa sliding off the world map"
What does Achebe mean when he says "Africa is People"?