Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Michael Ondaatje
-Michael Ondaatje One day I'll come swimming
beside your ship or someone will
and if you hear the siren
listen to it. For if you close your ears
only nothing happens. You will never change.
I don't care if you risk
your life to angry goalies
creatures with webbed feet.
You can enter their caves and castles
their glass laboratories. Just
don't be fooled by anyone but yourself.
This is the first lecture I've given you.
You're 'sweet sixteen' you said.
I'd rather be your closest friend
than your father. I'm not good at advice
you know that, but ride
until they grow dark. To A Sad Daughter Culture 70's, 80's and 90's Social progressive values Family Life Books and Literature Education Entertainment Personal Experiences Immigration Sri Lanka War Analysis of Poem Themes Unselfish Love
Reminiscing Diction Belligerent
Yellow suburban annunciation
purple/wild/wild world Allusions Casablanca
Creature from the Black Lagoon Personification "All night long the hockey pictures gaze down at you" Relevance to today All parents still feel the need to guide their children into the world and have to learn to let go
Taking risks is still a good message for not being afraid of change
In the contemporary world, you can only get ahead if you take risks
If you hold back it is hard to go far in life Critical Reviews "What Ondaatje seems to be suggesting is that familial relations impose boundaries and strictures on individuals that, for the sake of issues such as authority and even parental love, are hard to breach or bridge with moments of understanding."
- Bruce Meyer "Ondaatje uses documents, photographs, first person accounts, interviews, historical records, and blurs the boundaries between poetry and prose and fact and fiction in his work in an attempt to record the immediacy of experience, or the processes of recollecting experience. In this respect he forces the reader to reperceive reality, to assume an unusual angle of vision from which reality appears to be absurd, inchoate, dynamic, ambiguous, even surreal."
- Alice Van Wart Thank you