Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of ASTHMA
More than 13 million people in world have asthma
Asthma is untreatable but can be managed with medicine
Asthma symptoms may disappear on their own, but can return after a few years
An asthma attack can happen to anyone
in the chest
[Faster heart rate]
Loud sounds produced from lungs
Asthma Fun Facts
What is Asthma?
Asthma is a common chronic disease which consists of the blockage or narrowing of airways, which makes it difficult to breathe.
When someone has an asthma attack, they may find it
difficult to breathe
, wheeze badly and sometimes even
due to the
lack of oxygen.
Triggers of Asthma Attack
Ways to Manage Asthma
- Extrinsic (External factors) -
Avoid certain medicines that may trigger asthma attacks [Aspirin]
Always be prepared for an asthma attack by carrying an
with you at all times, as they can come unexpectedly
With your doctor's permission, going
MAY help improve one's asthma condition
Medications such as
corticosteroids (reduces inflammation, long term)
prophylactics (prevents asthma symptoms)
Stay away from smokers
External factors that may cause asthma attack are:
Triggers of Asthma Attack
Signs & Symptoms
- Intrinsic (Internal factors) -
Emotional stress and fatigue
Temperature and humidity changes
Exposure to fumes
Carbon monoxide; CO
Respiratory tract infection
Both internal and external factors can trigger asthma attacks.
Dust and pollen
If asthma is left untreated, it can be life threatening. The following may happen;
Allergens (food) such as: nuts
*allergens are things that cause an allergic reaction
Permanent narrowing of the bronchial tubes
Pneumonia (infection of the lung)
Status asthmaticus (severe asthma attack which does not respond to medication)
Treatment & Management of Asthma
Even more ways managing on Asthma
Asthma usually gets triggered by dust or allergies .
Vacuum frequently to clear away dust in one's home
Try consulting doctors for allergy shots which can desensitize one to a particular allergy
Avoid triggers of asthma such as animals with fur
Managing asthma can reduce the frequency of asthma attacks and allow one to live with more comfort.
Eczema is scaly, dry, and itchy spots on the skin.
It usually forms around the neck, elbow, and groin.
Eczema is an
which is a
sign of asthma
It can be treated with:
Not washing clothes with detergent
Washing clothes with water only
Drying clothes under sunlight
As eczema can be an
, it can be an
indicator of asthma.
1. Explain the purpose for the usage - relieve the symptoms .
2. Ensure is the right medication
3. Ensure it contains medication by shaking and pressing the inhaler .
4. Seal the lips over the opening of inhaler and inhale while pressing the puff.
5. Close the mouth and take deep breath a few times .
6. Repeat the steps for the second dose (use as ordered and whenever required).
Analogy of how a person feel during dyspnea
Inflammed Branchial Walls
1. Explain the purpose - relieve the symptoms .
2. Ensure is the right medication, expiry date and dose .
3.Put in the medication into the nebuliser container as required.
4. Connect to the face mask and the machine
5. Explain that once the machine is plugged in and on it will make noise, reassure not to worry.
6. To sit up straight/prop up in bed at least 45-90
7. Will see vaporization/mist - medication is working
8. Don't walk around while on nebuliser
9. It is complete once you see no more mist.
10. Remove the mask and switch off the machine.
11. Gargle the mouth to clear the taste of the medication upon completion .
12. Rinse the medication container and wipe clean the machine.
Thank you for listening to our presentation!
Overview of Asthma
Done By: Demi (Group Leader), Kai Yee, Tricia, Roy, Darwiis