Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Hurricanes
WHAT IS A HURRICANE?
- a storm with violent winds and lots of rain
- a type of tropical cyclone (Q)
A hurricane is...
WHERE DOES THE FORCE OF A HURRICANE COME FROM?
The force of a hurricane comes from...
1. Moist air (Q)
2. Warm water (Q)
What Kinds of Damage does a Hurricane Inflict on the Built Environment?
Hurricane damage inflicts on built environment such as:
- buildings may have broken window glass and they may shatter completely
- cars being thrown around which results in broken windows and crashed engine
- trees being ripped out of the ground and thrown around (WQ)
- animals from the bayou die for example fish
- HUGE floods are created, because of the moist air and rain
- that some hurricanes can cause landslides!
there will be more homeless people
What is the Impact of a Hurricane on the Natural Environment?
Some of the impacts on the environment are...
What can humans do to protect themselves from the force of a hurricane?
We as humans can protect ourselves from hurricanes by following these simple instructions:
1.MOST IMPORTANT IS TO UNPLUG EVERYTHING TO DO WITH ELECTRICITY. 2. Find a room in your house in which there are not as many windows.
3. Have a mattress ready for you to lay underneath and cover yourself with.
4. Get a battery powered radio so you can listen to the updates on the hurricane.
5. Carry with you, a flashlight as well, so if the power runs out, you have a source of light.
6. Also, remember to bring bottled water and energy bars in case you get hungry
Are there any other impacts on society?
Other impacts on society are:
1. There are many losses
(a lot of people die)
2. There may be lots of power outages
3. That hurricanes can cause tornadoes
Tornado that was caused by hurricane
Power outage in Hurricane Sandy
The Hurricane season starts in August and ends in October
September is the most active of the hurricane season months
The energy released from a hurricane could if converted into electricity power the U.S.A for 3 years!
The eye of the hurricane is the calmest part of the hurricane
The word "HURRICANE" comes from "HURACAN" the god of big winds and evil spirits
Most of the time the right side of a hurricane is the worst side of the hurricane