Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
382 - The "Globalization" Debate(s)
Transcript of 382 - The "Globalization" Debate(s)
IR 382 - Shannon Gibson, Ph.D.
What is "Globalization"?
= increased cross-border relations
= neoliberal-capitalism @ global level
= sharing of cultures, identities; homogenization
= specifically American-driven
= reconfiguration of social geography
Scholte's Assessment of Options:
"Globalization is a shift in the nature of social space."
Scholte's Definition of Globalization
1. Intimations of Globalization: 15th - 19th Century
2. Incipient Globalization: to mid-20th century
3. Contemporary Accelerated Globalization: 1950s-today
Eras of Globalization
Need to focus on the elements of
= shifts in frequency, scope and depth
- connections transcend territorial geography
Five Elements of Defining
Recognize political bias
Clearness & precision
Scholte's Take Aways:
Today's globalization is not a re-run of earlier eras
Today is about qualitative differences
Shouldn't overstate globalization
Is not inevitable or linear
Responses to Globalization
Effects of Globalization